Thermostat ?

richard

So a typical day begins with me going to the office each morning and having to stop because the car overheats....no rad-fan working. I turn the car off..wait five minutes or so...turn it on again and for the rest of the day the car runs fine (rad-fan included). Checked for codes and got something to do with open circuit AMF and a second code for a faulty Oxigen sensor. The radiator has no leaks, put new coolant...still having the problem. ¿Could the overheating problem be a consecuence of AFM or O2 Sensor? or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Richard

RIalltrac

have you pulled your thermostat to check if its stuck closed? I dont think the afm or the o2 sensor would make you overheat, I doubt they would control anything relating to the cooling system.

toayoztan

If it was a thermostat being stuck closed, wouldn't he be overheating everytime he drives again? I know when my 92ST had a stuck thermostat closed, it really was just stuck closed. Didn't allow coolant to flow into the passages to cool the engine. The thermostats work off temperature really, nothing to do with electrical.

Bryan

richard

I will try to pull the Thermostat this weekend. If it´s bad it will be hard to move/activate...slide..?

Thanks

Richard

alltracman78

If your car is overheating because the rad fan isn't working, it has nothing to do with the thermostat. Fan is turned on by a switch (sensor) in the bottom of the rad. There is also a relay in the system. One of these is probably causing it.