Engine under cover.

gt4ever

Hey,
I just did a major rebuild on my engine, everything went pretty good (god it feels good to finally have the alltrac back). Only thing is, I lost allot of the screws and the little plastic clips that help the engine under cover on. I was wondering if this is important to have on the car? Or if it is just "extra weight" I can only see it really being useful for keeping dirt out from under the engine or water, maybe that is really important, I have no idea...

Well, any advice would be great, thanks,
Brier B- San Mateo CA
1991 st185
1993 mr2 na

Rick89GTS

I had mine off for a while and was surprised at the amount of mud splashes I got in the engine bay. Then again, I live in Vancouver, where we get a lot of rain.

Not a big deal but I put it back on. Some of the front ones also help direct air to the rad too.

gt4ever

Hey, thanks for the advice,

Anyone else had their engine undercover off? Or know where to get the little plastic (pins/screws/hooks/watchmacallits) and regular metal screws so I can get mine back on?
Thanks in advance for any help.
-Brier B San Mateo
1991 st185
1993 mr2 na

RIalltrac

Anyone else had their engine undercover off? Or know where to get the little plastic (pins/screws/hooks/watchmacallits) and regular metal screws so I can get mine back on?

At the autozone that I go to, they have a rack that has all misc. plastic fasteners/nuts/bolts. You should be able to find what you need there.

Stubble

Most of the bolts holding the undercovers on are M6-1 (1 mm per thread) and 10mm long. I'm missing a few, and I've got a ghetto assortment of other stuff holding them in place. Most of my original holes are stripped or rusted, so I've tapped a few new holes.

Stubble

Oh yeah, I'd recommend keeping the covers on, because you will splash water directly onto the crank pulley, which will deteriorate the accessory and power steering pump belts quickly.

alltracman78

Mines been off for over a year, with no problems.
I cut off the part that goes from the front bumper cover to the crossmember under the radiator, and put it back on so it will direct air to the radiator.

gt4ever

Hey,
THANKS, all those replies are really helpful, now I think I may as well stick them back on, no rush it sounds like though.

OK now here is the next problem : ( I have always had a problem in down shifting to fourth, last owner tried putting new synchros (spelling) in and it kind of (stress the kind of) helped. But now I am slipping out of fifth every so often on the freeway, mostly it feel like when I am letting off on the gas a bit, and just yesterday, I went to go into third and the BAM it just literally SHOT out. It went in and the BAM GRIND it slipped out, and I had to kind of play around to get it to go in (go back sort of into fourth and then back again). Any ideas here?
One thing to keep in mind, one of the bolts on the clutch release cylinder broke off on my rebuild, but it is hydraulic, and seems to be firmly in place, but I don’t see if that was the problem why I only have problems in two gears? Ok well *RANT OFF*

Thanks again, and anymore help is for bonus points ; )
Brier B
1991 st185
1993 mr2 na

Stubble

This is just a guess, but could your shift linkages be out of adjustment? The cable housings have a threaded end that is attached to a bracket on top of the tranny. You can thread them in or out of the bracket to change the effective pull of the cables (just like your throttle cable).
Of course, someone who is a real mechanic may have a better idea :shrug: , and I'm not sure which way you'd want to move the cable - in or out.

gt4ever

Thanks for that suggestion, I am trying to find someone who could give me a hand local with checking the linkages.
And an update. Today I took a cruise to pick up my new FMIC and CS/RC bumper :D and I really paid close attention to how it was shifting, when I was in fifth gear, and I was putting down pretty lioghtly on the gas, it would SLOWLY move out of gear, and when I let off the gas if it had not come out of gear yet it would just pop back in.
As for third, never comes out, it just wont go in sometimes, or shots out right after I put it in (closer attention revieled that it was never really strongly in 3rd in the first place) but once it is in third its fine.

And one more quick question to show how much of a NOOB I am... how could I check the shifting cables and the tranny fork someone said that, also any help with the aformentioned cable he was speaking of (shift linkages)?
Well thanks again for the help,
-Brier B
1991 st185
1993 MR2 NA