synthetic or not?

evasive

Just a quick question- is it really worth it running synthetic on my car? ( 62.5k & completely stock)? I've done 2 oil changes with synthetic, and if I changed my mind, could I still go back to regular oil without hurting anything? Thanks for any info given-

Gary

What car?
Synthetic is the best oil you can have.
Totally worth it, especially on on an FI/high performance, running hot engine.

liveXwire

I'd say it’s worth it. Synthetic is a superior lubricant anyway you look at it. Since our engines are operating at higher power levels they tend to have more heat to break down normal oil, where synthetic has been engineered to withstand breakdown, reach operating ability sooner and such compared to normal oil. I love it for our Midwestern winters; it feels like its running better a lot faster in the cold weather compared to a car with regular oil. I'm pretty sure most of us use synthetic oil, though the type varies.

The main downfall would be it is a bit more expensive, but you own an AllTrac? *I'm with Gary, a signature would be a good idea to do or mention what type of car* Also it can be more prone to leaking though worn/wearing gaskets and seals. It also can be a bit hard to check since it likes to run off the dip stick a wee bit, or mine always seems to.

You can still change back if you want, it’s usually harder to go from normal to synthetic then the other way around. Since it takes a few oil changes to finally get all the normal oil removed from the engine. I'm not aware of anything ever beening damaged from swtiching oil types.

mototebok

Normal oil and synthetic are completely mixable and compatible.

I would always run synthetic over normal. Higher breakdown point, MUCH better lubrication properties.

Yes it will also show more if you've got a leak or are getting excessive blowby, but you should look into fixing those problems instead of masking them with a thicker oil.

I would reccomend Redline, Amsoil, or Mobil 1 synthetics. All very similar in performance.

SLC Punk

I have 61K miles on my st185 and just switched to syn. I am running Mobil 1 10w30 and change it every 2,500 miles. The cost of oil is cheap compared to the cost of repairing our engines!!

alltracman78

The only real advantage sythetic has is it is much more resistant to thermal breakdown. If you change your oil at 3000m every time, it reallyd doesn't matter. Unless you run the hell out of it (racing to every stop light...).
It doesn't really lubricate any better, though it is a bit thinner, and in a real close tolerance engine (not ours) might make a bit of a difference.
The Toyota oil IS syth, but they reccomend you change it every 7500m.
I use syth in mine, but I drive it for 800m (12-14hrs straight) on the hiway every month or so....

jimlau

As an addendum to this question, I'm putting together my freshly rebuilt engine, and I've heard it's good to use conventional oil for the break-in period (I would guess ~1000mi). After that, I was planning to switch to synthetic (probably Mobil 1). Do you guys agree with this? Any idea why conventional oil is recommended for break-in?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

A quote from Castrol

Question: Can Syntec Full Synthetic be used in a rebuilt engine?

Answer: In a new or newly rebuilt engine you want a certain amount of controlled wear to occur to allow piston rings to seat and the engine to "break-in." Our recommendation is to utilize conventional oil for new and rebuilt engines for your first oil change and after that you may switch to SYNTEC for superior engine protection.

mototebok

jimlau":2n112hsy said:
As an addendum to this question, I'm putting together my freshly rebuilt engine, and I've heard it's good to use conventional oil for the break-in period (I would guess ~1000mi). After that, I was planning to switch to synthetic (probably Mobil 1). Do you guys agree with this? Any idea why conventional oil is recommended for break-in?

Thanks in advance.

I agree. In many instances for a freshly rebuilt engine or new engine that requires break-in, the wear protection of synthetic will often prevent the rings from properly seating, simply because they cannot wear to the perfect shape match.

Conventional oils do not offer this level of wear resistance, and actually allows the metal surfaces to wear down to a good seal.

OlyST185

my engine is freshly rebuild, i used normal oil for the first 1000km or something like that, then ill get on the Mobil1 tri-syntec. cheap and very good oil. 5W-50 Would be good.

Stubble

My machinist recommended conventional oil for the first 5000 km, then switch to synthetic. Also, he recommended quite a few oil changes initially. I've changed mine at 50km and 500km now. I'll probably change again at 2000km, then at 5000km I'll put in synthetic.