Clutch/Tranny problem

Phonger

I was driving in normal stop and go traffic, as I was shifting into second my clutch just went limp and stuck to the floor. I couldnt get the car into gear, but the car continued to run and I didnt stall. Its as if there was no pressure/fluid in there. On the side of the road I turned off the engine and when i tried to turn it on it wouldnt click, as if the clutch wasnt pressed down. After I put some pressure on it (moved it very slightly towards the ground) it started. I had to pull the clutch back up with my foot. After I pumped it for 5 minutes I finally got some pressure into it. Its been working fine since then.

I had replaced the clutch with an OEM clutch back in feb. So what I'm thinking is the master clutch cylinder is having problems. However I have no clue what it could be. So can anyone diagnose this problem for me?

Rick89GTS

Check for low fluid and any tell-tale drips or fluid marks on the ground.
Are there any squawking noises?

With clutches, go in this order (easiest to most expensive):
1. bleed; check lines, master and slave cylinders for low fluid,
2. faulty slave cylinder,
3. faulty master cylinder,
4. open up the tranny :cry:

Phonger

Thanks for the reply, I was going to flush out the system monday. But it hasnt occured again and has held very good pressure so far. We will see how it works out.

This seems to happen often with alltracs :cry:

You replace the clutch keep old master/slave cylinders
New clutch apparently puts strain on old cylinders and they
fail so you get to replace them

Pedal sticking to floor usually is the Master clutch cylinder going
bad. See if the shaft running to Master cylinder (attached to
clutch pedal) is wet or moist if so your Master is bad

CelicaGT4

it could have possibly been an air pocket in the master cylinder...happens offen once or twice when you put a new clutch in. Happened when I put mine in.

Maloy

My st165 has been doing the same thing ever since i got it, it has a recently rebuilt tranny with a act clutch. I though the problem went away after a while until my buddy drove it and could hardly get it into gear. i guess im just used to it. im not sure if i should replace the master cylinder with the one in my parts car so or if just needs to bleed.

Matt Maloy
white st165
blue st165 parts car
Seattle, WA