Preparing FOR: Timing Belt, Camshaft Seal, and Waterpump

WarTowels

Hey-

This summer i'm going to tackle my Celica's Timing belt, camshaft seal (seeping oil), and the waterpump while im in there. I've already purchased all the parts, and have a Haynes manual.

This will be the most i've ever really fixed on my car.

I replaced the radiator and done a little work here and there.

I have a haynes manual like I said, but I'm looking for some addition insight so I don't screw everything up.

I'm going to be doing this with my experienced friend, however he has never done one on a Celica so yeah... any tips, pictures, or suggestions to ease me through?

Thanks.

-Towels

sideview.jpg

My baby.

jprine01

I think the camshaft seal and waterpump will be self explainitory once you remove stuff for the timing belt.
You may want to do the crankshaft front seal (on oil pump) while your in there.

Read though the timing belt area of the BGB its better then haynes:
http://tracfaq.nw-celica.com/ST185/

WarTowels

Awesome, thanks for that link. I'll be printing out the relevent pages and kinda cross examining them with the haynes. I'll look into purchasing the seal as well.

-Towels

Anything else?

hacker_720

the hardest thing you will come accros is getting the bolt off the crankshaft pully. You should use an impact gun. Some people recomend putting the rachet on it and spin the starter for a sec. Just mak sure it is going the right way,and that the ratchet is secured. I have never done this myself, but it could be used as a last resort. The only other thing is you have to make sure the timming is right, so read the manual as to how to set it properly. Note Top dead center: is when number 1 piston is at the top of it's range.

Steve

jprine01

^ Yeah the crank bolt, and getting the timing belt tensioner back on was the 2 hardest parts for me.
I ended up buying a new impact gun ($$$ good) for the crank bolt because my old guns (well my dads old guns) couldn't get it off.
Then another time I had no air compressor and used the starter trick.
Put breaker bar/socket on the bolt and rest the handle on the control arm I think. Go under the hood and pull the EFI fuse (disables fuel and spark) in the main box, go in the car and blip the start on for a split second. I couldn't belive how strong that starter is, it doesn't even struggle..