3sge & 3sgte Head Gaskets?

DipStick

Hey all, VERY long time, no post!
Are the 1st gen 3SGE AND 3SGTE head gaskets the same? Long story short, I want to find a metal HG for my '87 ST-162, and I cannot seem to find any, but there are several for the 3SGTE. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

hacker_720

I'm going to say yes. I'm pretty sure you can use a 162 gasket in a 165, 'cause there are no oil/coolent passages. But you should be able to use the 165 in a 162.... give it a try, let us know.

DipStick

Thanks for the reply. I would love to experiment with this but here's the thing. I am in the military and currently in a deployed location. When I come home (early Feburary I hope) I have to fix this HG really quick, beacuse I have a class that I will have to go to shortly after my return. Most internet sites are blocked here, so if anyone can help me out with this, it would be much appriciated. Thanks again!

scothaniel

From what I've seen, the 3SGE gaskets are very similar to the 3SGTE gasket, only the ports for the water jackets on the exhaust size are slightly smaller, but still in the same location. When I turbo'd my 3SGE, I used the 3SGTE gasket - no problem.

I only have experience with the 2nd and 3rd gen gaskets though.

hacker_720

Can you order a gasket for a 1990+ Celica Gt. Would it be the same engine? um... PM Allblackalltrac, he seems to know this kind of thing.