E-brake not holding well. - Updated 11-24-07! - Not fixed!

WarTowels

This may apply to the Alltrac, but this is for my GT. I've replaced pads in the front and back regularly. However, my e-brake doesn't hold very well. Even after brand new pads where installed. (I have discs on all fours)

Does the e-brake use a brake shoe system behind the rotor? That would make sense cause I didn't replace that...

Gary

WarTowels":2dxpw9lk said:
Does the e-brake use a brake shoe system behind the rotor?
Yes, but it shouldn't cause that (except you frequently drive the car with e-brake engaged)
You can remove the rotor and see what is loose or need to be adjusted.

turbo4wd

Gary":1evk3asq said:
WarTowels":1evk3asq said:
Does the e-brake use a brake shoe system behind the rotor?
Yes, but it shouldn't cause that (except you frequently drive the car with e-brake engaged)
You can remove the rotor and see what is loose or need to be adjusted.

Gary's right, I'd remove the rotor,a nd check it out - if needed, there is an adjustment wheel at the bottom which you can fiddle with.

Stubble

The adjusting wheel is at the bottom of the brake assembly, and you can access it without removing the rotor hat. There is a small rubber plug that covers an inspection hole. You line the hole up at the 6 o'clock position, and you should be able to see a toothed wheel with a flashlight. Rotate the wheel upwards (both left and right sides of the car) to tighten the brake shoes. The instructions for the alltrac are to tighten until the rotor doesn't turn any more, than back off 8 "clicks".

WarTowels

Alright, perhaps If I get a nice day out I'll check it out. Thanks.

"(except you frequently drive the car with e-brake engaged)" - Lol, no I don't. I bet you meant unless instead of except. :wink:

WarTowels

I can't see to locate the notched wheel. I can't get a flash light strong enough to aim and have me see it. Should I just take the rotors off?

-Greg

turbo4wd

WarTowels":3msxvk8l said:
I can't see to locate the notched wheel. I can't get a flash light strong enough to aim and have me see it. Should I just take the rotors off?

-Greg

Yea, once you get the rotor off it'll you'll see the adjustment wheel very easily.

WarTowels

Ok. Sigh. I dispise the upper bolt on the torque plate. I can never get to it, I always have to borrow my friends adapting wrench. Curses!

-Towels

concealer404

Take off your center console. You'll see a cable running down from the e-brake handle. Pull that cable up, and tighten the bolt thingy down. May require some force, probably a friend.

You'll find that the handle won't need to be pulled as far up, and will grab with far more force.

Mine didn't work for years, and my rotor was fine. Happened to see this while stripping the car for renovation and tested the theory. Works fine now, good enough to lock up rear wheels going over 60mph if i'm feeling stupid.

Hopefully i'm not too late!

WarTowels

evo - Don't do what he said to fix it, or... don't pull the e-brake at 60mph...

If I could solve my e-brake problem without taking off my rotors (I couldn't figure out how to tighten the part with them on) that would be nice.

My 93 Alltrac also holds like shit on the e-brake.

Putting it in gear is a PIA sometimes. And won't work if I ever get a turbo timer... but I could just get non lazy and take the rotors off.

-Towels

evo

pulling the e-brake while moving can harm the diff

You can try tighten the bolt at the handbrake, that's the first thing you should try to fix your problem.

If that doesn't solve it, there is an adjustment just behind the rear rotors, a star wheel near the studs that hold the rotor in place, you'll see an adjustment hole.

shine a light in that hole, and you should see the adjustment wheel, I forget which way you move it to tighten, but try adjust the same amount on both rear brakes.

If this still doesn't get your e-brake working properly, remove your rotors and check to see you have meat left on your brake shoes. If you need to replace them don't go to Toyota, get them re-lined. I had a set done in Toronto for $30. Toyota wanted almost $300!!

WarTowels

I tried adjusting it in the service hole in the rear rotors on my GT. I tried shining a light in there, but couldn't see anything with two different flash lights. I had already put my calipers and brackets back on and they were such a pain I decided to live with it. I'll try the nut on the center console area.

Update:

I went out at 11am, came back in at 1am. I removed the center console and adjusted the top screw to a tension that I felt comfortable. It was night and day in it's holding power on the alltrac. Before, I could pull the e-brake all the way up and the car would roll on almost perfectly flat areas, now about 75% up it holds like a rock.

I almost installed a ground line for a possible amp upgrade over the stock. I like to use the bolts and the metal U bracket under the console. Give a easy, dependable grounding area.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

-Towels

WarTowels

E-brake handle no longer feels very tight (tensile wise) it was difficult to pull it all the way up after adjusting the screw on the e-brake.

Not it goes all the way up without much effort at all. And the holding power of the e-brake is almost negligent.

On a flat surface, I get slight resistance. On any sort of incline that would make the car roll, it can't hold it at all.

Also, my rear right wheel 'area' seems to be squeaking when going slow. Which seems to have started roughly around the time when my E-brake can no longer hold any sort of weight on it.

Suggestions? Tighten them behind the rotor/service hole? Or just replace the entire brake shoes?

-Towels

bloodMoney

You may just want to replace the shoes and start fresh. Mine is adjusted all the way out and she still rolls a little... When I get around to the rear brakes, everything is getting done. Just my .02

~bloodMoney

WarTowels

Gotta find the park numbers I guess.

Never done shoes before. Or can I just go to something like pep boys for replacements?

-Towels

bloodMoney

You should be able to get replacements anywhere. They are just shoes with less lining... Like a stock civic... :lol:

~bloodMoney