Frankenstein build

kcitybrother

Im building up one of my 4 (yes i have 4, all 184s) after i've done some reading and want to lay the plans out to see if anyone out there could see any problems that i may run into

i have a 5sfe coupe that i want to build up with the following:

3sge crank(if possible idk if it is i just know it would be able to handle more power stress than the 5s)

stoke and bore the block
3sge/3sgte head (with port and polish)
hks cams
hks cam gears
new injectors and pump
standalone ecu
with itb's

does anyone see a problem with it so far?

RedCelicaTRD

5s crank can handle just as much as a 3s. No need to swap. You also dont need to worry about the extra money to bore it if you only want 300hp.

Terracar

Well you should use the 5s crank - it is forged (further testimonial it is used in the stroker kits for the 3sgte)

I think the weak link would be the rods/pistons - so some upgrades there would certainly help.

-Terracar

klue

Terracar":16yjwt7e said:
Well you should use the 5s crank - it is forged (further testimonial it is used in the stroker kits for the 3sgte)

I think the weak link would be the rods/pistons - so some upgrades there would certainly help.

-Terracar

agreed. Crank, block are both stronger than the 3s. Rods will need to be replaced for sure. Pistons can not handle anything about light detonation. upgrade the oil pump, and some good porting on the head

Grot

1st Gen head out of st162 (4th GTS) is what has been used before.
I am currently thinking about this swap myself.

A

Anonymous

ive done the swap on my race car and cant believe the power change. but my next upgrade i was thinking of lightening the crank a lot. any other thoughts on that. this track that the motor will be for has no motor rules other then 4cyl fwd. right now i have 5s block/crank with 3s rods and .020 stock replacement pistons 3s-ge head with 3s-gte cams (welded and re ground for BIG liftand duration). i building a new bottom end to try some new things out, any other suggestions?