Write up for converting AWD trans to FWD

concealer404

I know this was out there somewhere... anyone know where it is?

Also: Once this is done, will a limited slip that works in an E153 work in a converted trans?

WarTowels

Converting? Do you mean the switch that disconnects the rear?

I'm not sure anyone would actually convert an AWD transmission to FWD. Dear God, WHY?

It would require blocking off parts of the transmission or disabling parts. And you'd just end up a with a heavy fwd transmission when other FWD transmission are drop in.

-Towels

concealer404

WarTowels":18t6wa74 said:
Converting? Do you mean the switch that disconnects the rear?

I'm not sure anyone would actually convert an AWD transmission to FWD. Dear God, WHY?

It would require blocking off parts of the transmission or disabling parts. And you'd just end up a with a heavy fwd transmission when other FWD transmission are drop in.

-Towels

It's been done... someone did it with an RC gearbox a few years back.

Think it would really be any heavier than an E153 anyways?

In this case, it's because i have an AWD transmission that nobody seems to want to pick up, nor want to actually pay shipping cost for, and i can't get an E153 until i sell said AWD transmission. I know it's possible to convert an AWD trans to FWD, so it seems like a somewhat logical conclusion at this point.

WarTowels

Well, I didn't say it was not possible... I said why would you want to, which is very different.

Purely speculation, but I can only assume that it would be heavier because it's inherently a more complicated design.

I'm not sure it is a logical conclusion, to me it's very illogical. It's more like a cheap solution to a problem. I understand working under a budget though. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

-Towels

concealer404

jonahs_3sgte":zpan791m said:
why not get 5th gen gts fwd transmission
its going to be lighter then the awd transmission

Because i already have one installed in my car, and the S53 will not hold up to the power i'm shooting for.

concealer404

WarTowels":optigyrt said:
Well, I didn't say it was not possible... I said why would you want to, which is very different.

Purely speculation, but I can only assume that it would be heavier because it's inherently a more complicated design.

I'm not sure it is a logical conclusion, to me it's very illogical. It's more like a cheap solution to a problem. I understand working under a budget though. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

-Towels

Wouldn't what makes it complicated (AWD) be removed? I need to check out the thread. :)

It's not really a budget thing, more of a space issue. I have ummm... 5 motors and 4 transmissions sitting behind my current project in my garage. Everything from a 2jz and an R154 to a Mazda BP and G25MR transmission. It's ugly. :shock:

underscore

I remember reading something on Celicatech about just needing an MR2 or FWD Celica diff? In which case you could just snag an aftermarket MR2 diff and be good to go.

concealer404

underscore":18krobyp said:
I remember reading something on Celicatech about just needing an MR2 or FWD Celica diff? In which case you could just snag an aftermarket MR2 diff and be good to go.

I have a TRD LSD for E153 already. :)

l0ch0w

I believe that the only problem people have ever run into is when they want to convert an E15xF to run in an MR2.

Its totally possible to convert an E15xF to work in a FWD swap, you just have to have a donor E153 laying around, for the front diff cover and half shafts...

phattyduck

Exactly. The transfer case gets un-bolted, so all those parts are gone.

The front/center diff assembly needs to be replaced with a FWD diff, and requires a complete dis-assembly of the transmission, sadly. Find a cheap MR2 E153 to get the parts from and put it all together. You will also need MR2 turbo stub axles and the center support bearing - you can use Alltrac outer axles or '88-'91 Camry V6 / ES250 outer axles.

I used a Kaaz diff and converted an ST205 trans to an E153 in my FWD 3s-gte Camry and it worked great. The only problem I ever had was breaking axles. :D

-Charlie

ssj3timy

Hi, I bought a ST215 manual awd gear box and was wandering if It is possible to convert it to fwd as the gt4 boxes. I broke my beams S54 gearbox on a hard launch.

ssj3timy

I would be more than happy buying a E153 or E56 but the only boxes I found in my country are the ones that came in the imported engines. thats why my ST184 needs another trans.