92 Celica coupe swap help

Blakemc

Im new to these forums but i need some help. I just recieved my Carlos Sainz 3sgte st185 clip straight from japan. I have everthing i need for the swap (i thinnk). Anyways, i wanted to know if i could use the tranny that came in the carlos sainz clip for a FWD set up. I had heard on a couple of other forums that the alltrac tranny wouldnt hold up in FWD setup. If it will not work, what tranny am i supposed to use?? Help would be much appreciated. thanx

saved_1992

well the alltrac tranny will not hold up very long in frt drive only. i have read that people use the mr2,v6 camry/solara 5speed or their original trannys.

what parts are you not going to use? let me know :D

dibs

Blakemc

Well, of course im not going to be using the alltrac tranny if its not going to hold up on me, so i wont need that. It also came with the rear differential and axle of the alltrac so i wont need that either. You will like what else it came with though. Here goes...Apexi Front mount intercooler, Apexi Power FC ECU, Fully adjustable Tein suspension (2 pairs), Full carlos sainz body kit, a full set of wed sport light weight rally wheels with yokahama advan tires(still great tread too), and an original Carlos Sainz rally edition hood!!! It also comes with alot more. I got it all for $3,700.00. So if you do that math you will see how blessed i was to come up on this clip! Anyways i still need to know from some other ppl what the best tranny is for the 3sgte in FWD setup. Get to posting peeps.

saved_1992

where did you get the frt cut was it flash something? let me know what parts you are not going to use other than the tranny/rear end :D

if you are not using the other goodies let me know

Blakemc

Yes i bought it from flashoptions.com. It took forever to ship but they said they were having problems with that shipper and they don't use them anymore. As far as parts that im not going to use, im not really sure. You will have to wait untill the swap is complete, and at this point im not even sure when we will be able to start. I have to find out what tranny to use. I think im going to go with the mr2 tranny, seeing as how it is made to bolt up to the 3sgte. I have heard that there are a few problems that you run into while doing this but they said it can be done. The crate is so big that i still havent found all of the stuff that came with it! I'll let you know about those spare parts ASAP.

alltracman78

Do you have a manual or automatic?
You should be able to use your stock tranny, unless you're planning on making godaweful amounts of power...

And damn, that's a sweet deal...

*I call 2nds on the tranny/rearend. Hell, I might even come pick it up... :p *

Blakemc

My stock engine is the 4afe 1.6L with automatic tranny, so no its not going to work. Yes i do plan on at least 450-500 whp in this car, (far into future) so i want to start off with a good tranny. I think im going to try and find the rare mr2 tranny w/ LSD. LOL i can see you guys want my spare parts, but you'll have to give me time to check things out. If you have an urgent need for the parts E-mail me and I will check them out and give you a price asap. thanx for the help.

acylon

I don't think the LSD MR2 tranny is very rare. Also you can buy a brand new one from toyota for $2500.

:cry: I do have a urgent need for the rear diff. My rear end started making very loud noises at my last rally. I went under the car and turned the driveshaft and the diff feels very notchy. I had to quit and DNF the rally. I am afraid to drive the car as I dont want it to sieze and send me off the road. I have been looking for a torsen for months! I found one in europe but the shipping was more than the rearend! If you look back at my posts you can see I have been looking for one for a while.

Please sell me your diff...

Blakemc

Well, i feel sorry for you so i will check the rear end out just for you. How much were they going to charge you for the shipping??

acylon

I asked a friend of mine abount the MR2 Tranny, here is what he said:
"ALL 93-95 MR2 turbos (Have LSD). Also available at the dealership, I bought mine from Royal
Moore in Hillsboro (where MR2 club members get 20% off) for $1800-1900."

For the UK diff, the shipping was around $300! From UK. :shock:

I too, have 20% off at the dealership. So I could get you a Tranny for $1800-1900.

Where are you located?

alltracman78

Blakemc":1a8z4950 said:
My stock engine is the 4afe 1.6L with automatic tranny, so no its not going to work.

Damn, that sucks.... :p

fyi, you're going to need to modify the engine mounts in that case.....
At least the one by the pass side strut tower.
You'll see when you compare yours to the clip.

Just swapping in the engine, you're going to notice a huge jump in power.

Blakemc

I am Im Birmingham, Alabama zip code 35068. Yeah i was afraid of the mounting, but we are taking this clip and my car to my grandfathers shop. He built his own drag car and did all the custom sheet metal work so i know him and my dad can work something up. My dad has been a mechanic for years and i swear he knows everything so if he cant do it no one can; However, if you guys have any tips please feel free to include them here or send them to me at blakemc@gmail.com. We will need all the help we can get. And yes, i cant wait to feel that huge power increase. Ahhh i dream of the days when I hear that turbo spool up and releasing a huge burst of air through an HKS ss bov. Mmmm heaven.

alltracman78

All you gotta do as far as the engine mounts is weld in the ones from the RC clip.
The A series engine is mounted %100 vetical.
The S series, because of the longer stroke [taller engine], is mounted at a slant, maybe 30 deg?
I can't remember if the mount for the transmission to dr side is the same or not.
And I'm not sure on the underbrace, but you have the whole clip, so you're good. It shouldn't be too hard to change.....

Good luck. :)

Blakemc

I'll have some pics up for you guys hopefully today. I gotta get my hands on a digi cam but that shouldnt be a problem. Im also going to check for those torsen gears acylon asked for. Did you also want the tranny acylon??

Blakemc

Well, heres the pics u guys wanted. I set the resolution to 320x240 so that the loading times wouldnt be as long. If u want the high res ones i can send them. Just to let you know, that white stuff all over the hood is the plastic that they had the clip wrapped in so that no water could get in. that stuff is a pain to get off!

3sgteclip001.jpg

3sgteclip002.jpg

3sgteclip004.jpg

3sgteclip005.jpg

3sgteclip006.jpg

3sgteclip011.jpg

3sgteclip012.jpg

3sgteclip013.jpg

3sgteclip015.jpg

3sgteclip018.jpg

3sgteclip020.jpg

Gary

Are you going to fix the bumper?
If you are going to ditch it, I need few stuffs from them (grill, bumper support, ...)

toyotaluver

whats wrong with the bumper? im looking to get a CS bumper, just dont want to pay dealer prices, if it has some scratches thats fine since i will paint it. and i assume you are keeping the hood too? if not send me a pm and we can talk about prices, thats pretty much it that i would like, so send me a pm and we can talk :)