Charcoal Canister Removal Write Up

toayoztan

I think IIRC it dealt with the idea of pulling/sucking oil out of the system. So, if the outlet from the motor to the catch can is higher, then you are right, oil would tend to go downward, towards the catch can.

I'm not sure if this is true. I just know I try to keep the catch can higher or at the same level of wherever the line is connected to the motor.

Bryan

tw2

I have had my catch can in this position for many months now. I cannot say that I have had any problems with it. It has almost no oil in it but I have only driven my car ~1200km this year and the engine is pretty healthy (apart from valves). I also worked on the theory that gravity cannot hurt it. I thought it made sense that gravity helps pull oil droplets and vapour down toward the catch can and then helps keep it there while the vacuum from the intake pulls the air back out again. The vacuum will still be pulling no matter what direction it is pulling towards.

I certainly have had no oil whatsoever in the hoses coming from the can and no oil in the intake before the turbo anywhere.

CMS-GT4

The fuel filter fits pretty well in there.

img0860cm2.jpg

Corey

What would happen if a line is run directly from the tank vent line, to the vacumme tube on the top of the throttle body?

My car is having a cold start issue since the rebuild. I removed the Charcol canister while i rebuilt the motor.

I plugged the vacumme tube on the TB with some 4mm vacumme hose and a bolt.

Well, today i tried unplugging that tube just to see what would happen while it idled... there was zero change. the car reved fine as normal too.

So, im just curious what would happen if the tank vent bypassed the charcol canister, and went straight to the TB?

Thanks

Corey

WarTowels

I also have a question.

I accidentally pulled the line off of the TVV, but it is still on the charcoal canister.

Does anyone have a picture illustrating where this is meant to plug into? Also I'm unclear as to what is done with this line after the canister is removed?

-Towels

Gary

Corey,
If the tank line is vented directly into the TB, you will basically pressurize your gas tank when boosting the car. And when the car goes into vacuum (when cruising, not at idle, throttle plate is below port "P"), you will suck the air in from the gas tank through the check valve in the fuel cap. At idle, you are basically blocking the vent line (throttle plate is above port "P"). You shouldn't see any effect by this.

Greg, here is the diagram. Hope it helps.

evaplj4.jpg

WarTowels

Actually, I was hoping for a real picture of the TVV as I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Just so I'm clear in concept, after I locate the TVV, I plug both lines coming off of it which is A) the line I accidentally pulled off the charcoal canister and B) the line that's going to the manifold. Then plug the where it connects to the manifold.

With the canister removed:

-Unplug the check valve from the fender, reverse it's direction, and plug it back into the fender.

-Connect the fuel line from the canister (top tube) to the fresh air line from the canister (bottom tube) via a nylon fitting/small fuel filter.

Done?

-Towels

Gary

It is on the coolant outlet. It is the only sensor on the outlet that has vacuum lines attached to.

92blackGT4

Couldn't you just block off the line. I think redirecting the line seems like it would waste fuel by vapor. Or is it just not enough to make any difference?

Denver_whiteST185

The idea is its vents the pressure that builds up in the gas tank as it heats up and cools down. if you block it off compleatly, you may have a ruptured tank since that pressure has to go somewhere.

your only loosing a tiny amount (close to what evaporates while you fill up your car)

wakkjobb

I think I have mine done all wrong... when it was warmer I'd come to the shop and find a small puddle of fuel that had leaked from one of those charcoal canister lines. And a really strong fuel smell.
I undid the fuel cap to release the pressure and it seems okay again, but it's way colder nowadays. I'm working on a 165 and from what I read here it seems like the models are all a tad different. I'll check to see where I went wrong, maybe need a check valve?

No Smoking
Dan