Removal of the AC

vash169

I'm pretty sure I couldn't find this anywhere so I think I'm good to ask; does anybody have a good step-by-step on how to remove the air conditioner? It's been empty since I got it, I've never really had to use it, so I'd rather just be rid of it for the sake of simplicity.

Corey

My friend just did this on his RX7.

First he had a professional drive out and drain the system. From there it was pretty straight forward. He removed the pump from the engine, then started to remove a/c lines.

In the cab, he had to remove the glove box, and the large plastic a/c box thats behind it.

Once he opened the plastic box, he found the A/C core. removed that, reinstalled the box, plugged the holes in the fire wall and he was done.

Only weighs about 35 pounds on an RX7. I read that its close to 80 pounds on our car, but i find that extremely hard to beleive.

Corey

vash169

I've been led to believe that in removing the compressor, it's necessary to get a smaller belt because there are other things that are driven by it. I honestly haven't looked that closely at it, is that the case?