185 ABS REMOVAL**new pics**

silence

It works!
You CAN swap the ABS lines with the front brake lines from a non-ABS Celica ST.

All you need are the brake lines to the left of the master cylinder, the proportioning valve, and a 3 way valve. The line that goes to the driver's side brake is the same in both cars. Here is a list with prices for those who want to get the parts from a dealer...I picked up everything from my local junkyard for $15.

PARTS
47314-20360.....$20.55 Line, passenger to P-valve
47311-20710.....$13.83 Line, P-valve to Master Cyl
47312-20190.....$ 4.49 Line, master cyl to 3-way
47315-20490.....$ 9.29 Line, driver to 3-way (same)
47313-20480.....$13.46 Line, P-valve to 3-way
47150-20140.....$195.03 Proportioning valve
90413-10182.....$13.75 3-way

**You do not need any lines that go to the rear of the car, they are the same**

OlyST185

this is sweet, do you have any pics of the installation, i guess those part from a non-abs celica GT/GTS would work right?

b00staholic

Thanks Silence, that is really helpful.

A writeup on the install or pics would be great too.

One question though: for those of us with our engines still in the car, is removing ABS possible? Will I be able to get all of the lines and the actuator out??

If not, to what extent can ABS be "removed"? like would I be able to remove all the speed sensors and swap over the new lines but leave the actuator in place, etc.

Thanks!

froussemaite

Good parts listing... but just to note;

If you save all of the fittings when you remove the ABS you can make your own lines. I did the front-end conversion on my car for under $100CDN.

All that you really need to do is get a 2 Ts, an adjustable brake bias controller and some line.

[edit] I have some good pics of my whole set-up that I will try to post

silence

OK,
I will try to answer most of these questions.

b00staholic:

You can remove your abs with the engine in the car...it will be difficult to get to the proportioning valve, but if you cut/bend the old ABS lines...you can get them out.
The actuator is probably the easiest thing to remove... It has a few bolts on top and one that bolts in from below...you need to remove your windshield washer tank to get to it.

You can leace the actuator in place, but why have dead weight(8 or 9 lbs) in the car if its so easy to remove?...

froussemaitre
you're right, I thought of doing that...but if you can get the parts at a junkyard, it will be a whole lot cheaper and easier.
I'd love to see pics of your setup!

b00staholic

Ok, cool, I'd really like to remove my ABS with the engine in the car. So if I'm willing to mangle the lines in the engine bay, it shouldn't be a problem? I guess no one is really going to be wanting to buy used ABS lines (from the tone on this board at least).

Where exactly is the proportioning valve?

silence

thanks for moving it!

Mangle them up if you need to...I kept mine in one piece...(easier to do with the engine out) The proportioning valve is on the firewall in the center of the bay, above the steering rack.

turbo4wd

rightrac":257rsc9q said:
did u do this on a 165 or a 185?

The part number #47150-20140 is for a st185 brake proportioning valve.. Interestingly enough, this is also the same part# for a 1990 V6 Camry..

silence

I did it on a 185....and changed the subject heading to reflect that.
Thats good info about the proportioning valve...more options for the junk yarders like myself.

silence

I have not had a chance to drive it yet...i'm waiting for the stainless lines from the group buy, and the motor is still out of the car.
i'll post the pics tonight.

silence

Ok...here are the pics:
BEFORE removing ABS
IMG_1560.sized.jpg

AFTER ABS removal
DSCF0025.sized.jpg

you can see all the pics at
http://angrycamel.com/gallery/Project-Alltrac?page=1