How to disassemble mirrors (+ question about convex glass)

Practical

So I have my european mirrors that I want to put on my US car. The european mirrors have five wires going to each while my US car only has 3 wires going to each mirror, probably because the Euro ones are heated. I realize that nobody can help me with the wiring colors, so I will have to investigate on my own. To that end, I was thinking to pull the mirror glass off so I can see where each wire goes and reverse engineer what is going on.

But can I just yank off the glass? I don't want to break anything. Is there a way to snap of the glass without breaking it?

To answer another question which was posed by someone in response to my earlier post, convex glass is like on the US p/s. The euro mirrors look like this:

http://www.streetracing.by/bestauto/200304/04.jpg

And no, convex European mirror glass has a different outline than US glass so it will not fit in a US mirror.

Thanks,

Practical

the mirror has a five-connector mini plug, the car has a three connector plug. I don't know what wires go to what in the mirror (motors, heater, etc.). That's why I want to take the glass off the mirror to find out what each wire is for so I can wire the new mirrors up correctly to my car's harness and adjust the mirrors with the existing button. I understand that a heating element doesn't care about polarity, but I wasn't planning to connect it anyway.

Now can anybody tell me if (and how) I can take off the mirror glass and put it back on without breaking it?
Thanks,

falken_gt4

Practical":alykcox4 said:
the mirror has a five-connector mini plug, the car has a three connector plug. I don't know what wires go to what in the mirror (motors, heater, etc.). That's why I want to take the glass off the mirror to find out what each wire is for so I can wire the new mirrors up correctly to my car's harness and adjust the mirrors with the existing button. I understand that a heating element doesn't care about polarity, but I wasn't planning to connect it anyway.

Now can anybody tell me if (and how) I can take off the mirror glass and put it back on without breaking it?
Thanks,

I'm sure mine has a 5 pin plug, it is electrically folding? Don't know if it is the same as an ST205? I know cos I bought a non folding one that had only three wires with a small plug and my one has a bigger plug with 5 wires I think.

Cheers
Andy

Practical

I worked out the answer to my question. The glass comes off by carefully prying it off beginning from the bottom (it is hinged at the top). If you don't start from the bottom, it will break. Don't ask me how I know.