gauge cluster & tail light failure after mod..

monkey8oi

Hey guys,

Here's what happened... I recently changed all the bulbs for the gauge cluster to LED lights. After doing so, the lights were working for a while and now they don't. Also, my tail lights do not work when this happens. My "low gas" light stays on all the time while the rest of the back lights do not work. But the "door open" light does work when i open the door. I have checked all the related fuses and all are fine. I have tried replacing the whole gauge cluster with the extra one that i have and the problem remains. Any other ideas as to where i can check to get this fixed. Don't really want to drive the car without the tail lights cause i don't want to get rear ended.

aubeone

Did you happen to check the resistance difference between the stock incandecent bulbs and the leds? have you tried putting the regular bulbs back in to see if the problem still exists? when you have your cluster out, check the circuit board on the back for any heat spots or broken links.

monkey8oi

Nope.. didn't check the resistence difference between the stock and LEDs. There are no heat spots or broken links on the back of the circuit board. I guess i can try and put the old bulbs back and see what happens. I just thought it was kinda weird that even tho i replaced the whole gauge cluster with a different one, the problem remained. Also, any idea why my tail lights would be effected??

aubeone

Describe the procedure you used to install these leds?

Try replacing the fuse for the tail lights even if it looks ok.[/u]

monkey8oi

For the LED's, all i did was take the gauge cluster out are took each bulb out and inserted an LED in place of the stock bulbs, then put it back on to the gauge cluster. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'll try just changing out the fuse anyways and see what happens. Last time this happened, my friend just pulled out the fuse to check it and put it back cause it was fine and the problem disappeared for a while but now it's back. I just find it wierd that the gas light stays on and the "open door" light works fine but the back lighting for the gauge cluster doesn't work and my tail lights don't work. Also, when the problem occurs, my door locks stop working also. They are all related somehow because it only happens when the original gauge light problem occurs.

aubeone

do you have access to the EWD for our cars? I have it at home, but I'm willing to bet dollars tro donuts that there may be something funky going on with the ground for that system.

you have me wondering what exactly those circuits share...power...ground...both in some cases...?

aubeone

Check there. if you have a small nail file or emory cloth try cleaning it, or use some dielectic grease and see if it helps.

monkey8oi

you might be right about the grounding issue.. i do have a hard ass time starting the car when it's hot out.. not sure if that is another symptom of a bad ground.. no, i don't have access to EWD for the car. i'm really curious to know what those circuits share too.

LegacyofDan..
i don't think that there is any corrosion on the fuse box because this was never an issue up until i change to the LED lights.. and i drove the car for a good month and a half without any issues up until i changed to the LEDS..

aubeone

so what changed along with the bulbs..resistance, lower resistance could lead to increased heat in places not designed to build heat...what about when you removed the cluster, what else had to be disconnected or displaced?

monkey8oi

The only thing that was disconnected in changing the bulbs was the three connectors on the back of the cluster to get it out but these were reconnected during reinstallation..

Another bit of added info... a new oil pressure gauge was installed a couple days after the LED's were installed by a friend.. But i can't remember if the issue was happening before he installed the gauge or after.. it might have something to do with it but my oil pressure gauge has been working with no issues thus far.. only the regular gauge cluster is messed up..

Simba

monkey8oi":3jqklvhp said:
For the LED's, all i did was take the gauge cluster out are took each bulb out and inserted an LED in place of the stock bulbs, then put it back on to the gauge cluster.

If you didn't wire a resistor in line with each LED, you probably fried them. The incandescent bulbs get straight 12V, which is too much for normal LEDs.

monkey8oi

Just tried replacing the LED's back to the regular bulbs. The same problem is still there. Not really sure where to go from here.

monkey8oi

Issue resolved.. After looking around.. Looks like there was a loose connection with one of the connectors to the fuse box in the engine bay.. Seems that it might have also resolved my starting issues when hot.. Car runs great right now.. Couldn't be happier.. Thanks for all the help guys..