Dash Gauge Cluster

finally found an Australian Gauge cluster for my RC, so i can have a 260km speedo. i don't have my car yet so i can't compare the differences, if any from the JDM version and the AUS version i have now. I'll be replacing the bulbs with LEDs and i noticed there is a small rectangular black chip like plug-in on the back just off centre behind the cluster. What is that for?

my last question is, how do you change the odometer reading on our cars (mechanical counter) i know technically its illegal, but i'd like to match the actual odometer reading from my original. Is that something a dealer can do legally? i don't mind doing it myself too. Its not like i'm doing it with bad intentions.

deecee

not sure on black chip. Mine didn't have one.

guage cluster: read my project thread ;)

Let me know if you need more help with it. Its pretty thorough on what I did, but just set the odo manually instead of using a drill. explained in my thread :)

i'll have a read of your project when i have a bit of time. I will also snap a photo of this mystery black chip. maybe someone will recognize it.

i got my cluster partially apart now, but i have to stop there for now since i don't remember what my current odometer reads. At least i can see how it all works. You know what my guess it. This mystery black chip might be the chip that enables a generic speedo/odometer cluster to be programmed for 260km or 180km or 160 mph, that sort of thing. i think when i get my car back, i'll pull my cluster out, and see if i have this black chip too. If i do i'll try to compare part numbers or better yet, do a swap and see if the speedo behaves slower/differently. if it does that could be the ticket. I'll just swap chips and speedo face plates and i'm done! Sadly i won't have my car back for another month so i won't be able to report back till then.

here's a picture of another member's gauge cluster "Kool_aider" Hope you don't mind me using your photo :)

Gaugehighlite.jpg

notice the black rectangular plastic thing just to the left of center? Its some type of chip that i was talking about.

DeeCee, mine is a combo of both of yours. its an electronic speedo like DeeCees, not mechanical like "Kool_aider" but i have the black chip thing like "Kool_aider" interesting.

mike325ci

Huh, this is fun... JDM, AUS, and USA... All different! I have a photo of mine and it's different than both of those, though closer to Kool_aider's -- except if you look on the right half, there are extra screws on my circuit board (I have a 1992 ST185 USA):

DSCN8951.JPG

I have that black thing too.