Aftermarket and Toyota OEM Steering Wheel Replacements

db

After a couple threads in just as many days, I decided to make a thread about replacing your stock Alltrac steering wheel with something else. Having all the information in one thread should clear some of the confusion and be a big help to us.

The first thing you will need to do is decide on whether you want to go with an aftermarket or a newer Toyota OEM steering wheel. There are numerous aftermarket wheels available in all shapes and sizes. The problem with these though are that almost none of them have airbags. If you want to retain the use of the airbag system, a newer Toyota wheel may be what you need.

Aftermarket Steering Wheels
You'll need an aftermarket steering wheel and an aftermarket hub to connect it to the steering column. An optional quick release hub can be used in addition to or in place of the aftermarket hub, depending on the design. Momo and Sparco hubs tend to have the most commonly used universal steering wheel configuration. Most aftermarket wheels use this design and are cross-compatible. Grant wheels and hubs use a completely different design and is not compatible with Sparco and Momo. Note that the airbag system will be non-functional and may cause you to fail any required government inspections. Removing the airbag fuse will disable the airbag system and extinguish the airbag light if you go this route.

mr2boost from the mr2oc.com board has a handy Momo wheel install guide in Word format, complete with cruise control relocation (as US cars have the stalk on the wheel instead of the column) here. [http://pics.midsouthspyders.com/listpics.asp?dir=Dan\Steering+Wheel+Install] This is obviously on an MR2, but should be close enough to help you with your install on your Alltrac.

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Hub Part Numbers
Sparco 01502091
Momo 7715
These steering wheel hubs are also cross-compatible with 5th/6th gen Carina (T170/T190), Camry (1988+), Corolla (1988-1997, E90/E100 and possibly newer), 2nd gen Land Cruiser (1991-1996, 80 series), 2nd gen 4Runner (1990-1996), Starlet (1991-1995, 80 series), 2nd gen MR2 (1991-1995), Tercel (1990-1998), 4wd Pickup Trucks (1987-1996). Years may vary as production years and model years are different depending on the country they were introduced in.

**Note that Momo lists a different hub (7728) for the 1993-1995 MR2. Both the 7715 and the 7728 fit all years of the 2nd gen MR2, but the 7728 does not have an easy means of retaining the stock horn's functionality. Sparco in addition has a separate hub (01502032) listed for 4th/5th gen FWD Celicas. This hub is compatible with Carina (1981-1987), Celica Supra (up to 1985), Supra (1993-1998), 1st gen 4Runner (up to 1989), Land Cruiser (1985-1990), Corolla GTI (up to 1997), and MR2 (1985-1989). Momo's part numbers don't show this cross-compatibility so these may or may not work for our purposes. The 6th gen Celica is also not listed as compatible with 4th and 5th gens.

Newer OEM Toyota Steering Wheels
Several newer model Toyota steering wheels both look nicer and have the revised "low pressure" airbags instead of the old versions we have that were just as likely harm you as save you in the case of an accident. Most steering wheels of models listed as being cross-compatible in the aftermarket steering wheel hub section should work as well. The MR2 has the same stock Toyota steering wheel hub design as our Alltracs and after some research I've found that they have successfully installed newer Corolla S/Celica GTS/Matrix/Spyder wheels without modification. All of these are more attractive 3 spoke steering wheels and some have the desired red-stitching. The airbags are all compatible with our cars as long as you switch out the newer connector with the old airbag connector or order this part from this site. This adapter connects older Toyota airbag systems to newer airbags. Note that this part is no longer available at most dealerships and thus must be ordered from the site I referenced. To clear any airbag codes or read any that come up during steering wheel installation, you can make this airbag tool.

**Note that Rav4 airbags also seem to be interchangible with the newer Celica/Corolla/Matrix wheels in case you need to find one in the junkyard. Rav4 steering wheels themselves probably won't fit however.

If you have anything to add or edit in my original post please contact me and I'll change it. Links to other sites were used without express permission and will be removed if the authors request it. Sticky?

mike325ci

This is a great idea... Also, to make it a sticky, let's add a few more pieces of information:

1) Quick release hub options
2) Horn functionality
3) Other wheel options -- e.g. JDM Toyota Wheels (GT-Four RC)

db

I can go back and add in the quick release stuff after I get some rest. The models I used were not USDM specific but didn't spend anytime looking at JDM differences. We can add in pics of installs too so we can see options.

My biggest question at the moment is the discrepancy of the Sparco hub listed for 4th/5th gen FWD Celicas. Either it's a typo on Sparco's part or a lot more Toyota models are interchangible than we all thought.

mike325ci

db":jxiwwcuv said:
I can go back and add in the quick release stuff after I get some rest. The models I used were not USDM specific but didn't spend anytime looking at JDM differences. We can add in pics of installs too so we can see options.

My biggest question at the moment is the discrepancy of the Sparco hub listed for 4th/5th gen FWD Celicas. Either it's a typo on Sparco's part or a lot more Toyota models are interchangible than we all thought.

yes, sounds good-- i'm glad you collected and started this, thought... and i know, i've seen a few posts re: FWD Celicas over the past few days too... it might work but not be fully functional. FYI, i am using an AW11 MR2 momo hub on mine-- it fits, but the 3 holes in the back doesn't line up and therefore my signal stalk return doesn't work... so maybe the FWD celica is the same way-- it'll fit, but may not be a perfect fit...

db

That may be true but I have a hard time thinking that Toyota would've used a steering wheel setup that was different in just the Alltrac. Maybe it's just a beefier steering column spline diameter for rally reasons. Dunno. I guess I can research Toyota part numbers later too.

shadowlife25

Mainly the auto tilt feature is what you will immediately notice.
The spline count of the shaft for the steering wheel itself is the same across FWD/AWD models.

mike325ci

jonnyboygt4":26r9o0dl said:
so does that mean taht the tilt feature would not work on a gt4 if you use a fwd celica hub?

first, i didn't realize only the GT-Four had the auto tilt feature- I thought GT-S's had them too...

in any event, the auto tilt feature has nothing to do with an aftermarket hub. it is a mechanism that is built into the steering column which is AFTER the hub and before the whole rack and pinion assembly. it's an electrical mechanism that works on a mechanical mechanism. i am troubleshooting mine, so i've seen it and tested it. the hub does nothing but replace the stock steering wheel + clock spring (so i am told this is what it's called-- the yellow/black thing that contains your ABS wire) with a hub adapter + aftermarket wheel combination.

aus jd 2703

Possibly a dumb question but do gt four steering wheels have anything wrote in the centre or is it celica like st184 steering wheels?
I want a new steering wheel that's original but all I can find is celica wheels

redGT4

aus jd 2703":3s5lhywg said:
Possibly a dumb question but do gt four steering wheels have anything wrote in the centre or is it celica like st184 steering wheels?
I want a new steering wheel that's original but all I can find is celica wheels

Yeah it says gt-four.

Venom610

what about the trd steering wheels? shouldnt they fit perfectly on a st165? cause as far as i know most of them come with airbags and they are toyota.

aus jd 2703

I'm currently running a st184 steering wheel on my st185 fits and works great but horn has to be pushed on and angle to work. But I think that's cause it's an old wheel.

quieter

i know this is an old thread but if i understand, i need to get the 7715 momo adaptor? i have the steering wheel but not the hub. its for a 90 alltrac

mike325ci

quieter":2hurs96x said:
i know this is an old thread but if i understand, i need to get the 7715 momo adaptor? i have the steering wheel but not the hub. its for a 90 alltrac

Correct, 7715 is the proper hub adapter. Apparently 7728 also fits, but I can't confirm that (I have 7715 on my ST185).
Note: you cannot use the clock spring with the momo hub adapters. I'm still trying to figure out how to wire up my horn button as a result...

See: http://www.momousa.com/products/product ... -hubs.html

underscore

I can confirm that the FWD and AWD take the same wheels/hubs, as I have a 185 hub and wheel on my 184 (the factory optioned MOMO).

quieter

well yeah! i bought a st205 front clip for the engine, brakes, suspension, tranny and diff and i took the hub because i mooched the guy for a better steering wheel than the one that came with the car... its a momo race. i took the hub out of the st205 wrc and i installed it in my car and theres a ring that doesnt fit nowhere and like you said some type of spring

Old thread, but thought I'd post this here to help anyone that may be thinking about getting an aftermarket steering wheel. In the case of USDM 1990-1993 Celicas with the driver-side SRS airbag, you want Works Bell hub boss model/part # 535. A "short" version is available if you want to use a quick-release, as well. It includes the airbag light canceller and the little harness to make your horn button work with the clock spring! Hope this helps someone in the future, because I couldn't find any information relevant or specific enough out there so I had to do my own trial-and-error.