battery relocation

UtahSleeper

Bump just to ask a question on what has been said here.

Unless doing track duties, why are people saying to add a fuse or breaker when relocating the battery? To me it seems you are just moving the battery further away, not adding anything, so shouldn't the stock fuse box bu sufficient?

WarTowels

^Because you want the fuse as close to the battery as possible, not at the opposite end of the cable.

And as mentioned, for this to be track-able, you need a clearly marked and approved switch that is clearly visible and literally outside of the vehicle. See whatever association you participate in to get more specifics.

jonnyboygt4, that guide recommends welding wire because it's usually cheaper per foot than subwoofer wiring which generally is inflated because of it's intended use. So, your suggestion of getting subwoofer wire is slightly misguided. Wire is wire, get whatever is cheaper.

I would highly recommend against doing this mod. ESPECIALLY if you are not prepared to pay for nice equipment to pull it off. You're looking at a lot of custom work (to look nice and be safe) for almost zero gain. I would much rather buy some nice new cable and wire up a mini battery up front. There's plenty of places to stick an oOyssey, and it requires no further modifications in order to track(afaik).

-Towels

UtahSleeper

I would rather relocate just for cleaner engine bay :) My trac wont be a track car, I was just curious about the need for the fuse.

The guy that posted this thread never got the battery relocated, and since I own it now, I am relocating it.

WarTowels

Odyssey battery = clean. Check out the dimensions, they are tiny.

By relocating, you are actually increasing weight over an Odyssey battery and complicating the inherent design. So to me, the only gain is one less thing in the engine bay, which is offset by several more things in the trunk + weight. And since you aren't racing, then the slim advantages of a relocated battery are brought to nil.

Odyssey:

Cheaper
Lighter
Easier
Simple

Relocated:

More expensive
Heavier
Harder
More complicated.

To each his own, but coming from someone who did relocate their battery, I would not recommend it. :D

Cheers,

-Towels

UtahSleeper

Well, here is a question for you. What would you recommend for someone wanting to build a cold air box with a cone filter into the location where stock battery is? Is the odyssey a good solution for daily driving duty in the winter? What is the life span of an odyssey?

I haven't seen alot of feedback/reviews on the odyssey in various weather conditions over time. I know darth has one and you. But Darth is in texas with good weather.

underscore

I have a Deka, similar to an Odyssey, and my plan is to mount the battery where the stock airbox is, and then make a straight intake. I've seen this on here many times and it looks great.

WarTowels

Hmm, that makes it tougher. I see.

In your particular case, it looks like it might be possible to put it where the power steering brick used to go? Where is your fuse box ending up?

-Towels

UtahSleeper

underscore":1yheibh2 said:
I have a Deka, similar to an Odyssey, and my plan is to mount the battery where the stock airbox is, and then make a straight intake. I've seen this on here many times and it looks great.
Can you find any pics and show? How do these batteries perform in winter?

WarTowels":1yheibh2 said:
it looks like it might be possible to put it where the power steering brick used to go? Where is your fuse box ending up?

Power steering brick?

My idea for the fuse block would be to make a mount on the outside of the cold air box. I have seen something similar done once or twice around here.

WarTowels

Oh right, st165. I guess where the stock coolant overflow is for the WTA cooler? I think.

Basically the metal platform directly opposite where the stock battery goes. I was looking at your project thread and it looks empty since you went ATA.

-Towels

UtahSleeper

Oh, sorry. The project thread is misleading right now lol. I bought this car off someone that had removed alot of shit trying to figure things out. I am in the process of reassembly. She is still stock W2A and will have the overflow tank put back in as I reassemble.

I was going to return it all stock, but I hate the air boxes and how things are cluttered so slowly clearing that clutter out (fuel evap, egr, etc).

Thanks for the input so far.

Corey

I'm really happy with the 11lb Braille battery.

I've heard rumours that it is pretty much the same as the Decka.

I daily drive my car also - no issues.

monkninja

Towels what you said makes so much sense, I was never seriously considering a trunk relocation, and have always admired the way those tiny batteries look. Maybe next time I need a new battery I will go with one of those. So far I have heard a couple of brands, so it's good to know that there are plenty of options out there. Does anyone have experience with more than one brand or a good recommendation?

Thanks!

underscore

UtahSleeper":2l5dhjfp said:
underscore":2l5dhjfp said:
Can you find any pics and show? How do these batteries perform in winter?

I know a few locals that had these in winter DD's without a problem, mine was in storage with the neg disconnected, I fired it up a few times and after sitting 3 months and being about -10 Celsius out it started up the exact same as it always does. As far as pictures go I don't know of any off the top of my head but if I see any I'll post them here. Maybe check the engine bays thread?

monkninja

This is Gary's from the engine bay thread.

Gary.jpg

UtahSleeper

Hmm. Guess I may need to re-evaluate. Although I am not quite sure how a cold air box would be built in a much tighter spot......guess just need to start working with dimensions lol.

Aside from the "clean" appearance under the hood with no battery there, the only other perks I see to relocate is no extreme temp changes for the battery and ease of amp and such install.