For those that "upgraded," ideas on stock boost gauge?

underscore

slow motor/control circuit then. I wonder if there's an easy way to make the stocker at least respond faster.

tubasteve

in short no. Just like the gas gauge and the temp gauge its slow due to the type of gauge. Notice when your car is filled from empty takes forever? That's due to the current that brings the gauge up vs the others that are demanded to a spot like a stepper motor or mechanical boost gauge. Its the same desighn if you ever take it apart and look. I had to when going to jdm cluster then back cause I could not find wire pin outs on the gauges. There is room for a gauge in there and the pim wire is very fast if you bypass it like the prior posts, the map sensor/boost cut sensor needs to respond to manifold pressure asap when you boost spike past the ecu's max psi 12/17.6 psi(or whatever yours maybe)

Ill see if I can pull it apart soon and show you. I have a gts, gt4 and alltrac speedo in storage waiting for me to do this.

underscore

sMARTINside":1quqkn9h said:
The gauge takes it's input directly at the map sensor signal, so it is not driven by the ECU.

I just remembered something, when I was stuck at 6-7psi the stocker would read full boost in 1 & 2, but only 3/4 range at 7psi in 3/4/5 (which makes sense because 3/4/5 should be at 11). If it's hooked up direct, how can it tell?

Rpz123isme

Here is what i did in my 165. I didnt want to have one anywhere else.
2012-02-04_1814361.jpg

dragstang86

klue":3iknixek said:
I just blanked mine off, it sucks anyway :p

You can fit some smaller gauges in there with some modifications, or if your using AEM ems, you can use the serial gauges to read outputs off the EMS directly

So cool :p

Wow I didn't know about them. That is cool. I think that is def the route I'll be going. A big plus of the AEM ems there if you ask me.

warracer

This guage won`t fit on our cluster, it will overlap on the fuel and temp guage.
1000x1000.jpg

Right now im working on a multi function LCD screen that will replace the boost guage, basicly a small rectangular green on black lcd run by an Arduino BT board that im programming for boost/vac , water temp , oil pressure , oil temp. I`ll be able to switch the functions with a small switch that im adding to the center console. I want it to look as oem as possible.
Oh, and since im using a BT board, bluetooth will be operative so anybody with an android phone (sorry I don`t code apps for iOS) will be able to monitor on their phone and change some parameters. Keep in mind in currently in pre-alpha test, I barely finished proggramming the board and very loosely fitted the screen to the cluster. But I should be able to get V1.0 ready this summer :)

soarer.jzz30

Do you realize that the gts gauges are the same on that dial, and in fact identical except for the volt meter being in place of the boost gauge. I will go take a picture later today. Blow your mind

underscore

soarer.jzz30":2kp32ts5 said:
Do you realize that the gts gauges are the same on that dial, and in fact identical except for the volt meter being in place of the boost gauge. I will go take a picture later today. Blow your mind

Which year/market GTS? My 92 USDM doesn't.

soarer.jzz30

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395261545332.jpg[/attachment]
Plus the aluminum bezel, but if you notice it's all in place. If I remember correctly now, I think I used the gts cluster and put the all-trac tach and speedo in it, I also used the flat wiring from the gts as well. Everything is wired from factory to function

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395261545332.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395261545332.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,176

warracer

soarer.jzz30":1b532foq said:
Then use a rhd gts cluster piece..

JVeCWwv.jpg

rhd gts cluster are almost impossible get. And pricier than doing the mods im doing right now.

But thanks for the diligently proposed advice