Interior carpet question!

celigts

I'm wanting to change the carpet color in my 185 cuz its worn and not fitting with the body plans and such.

So I'm wondering what you guys have done when it comes to changing the carpet in the car

celigts

I'm sure someone has done this. Or something similar atleast.

What have you changed the carpet to then if you've taken it out?

I drive my car year round and don't want back seats so solutions to removing the carpet and making he car cleaner would be awesome too so give me something to run with.

Please

toayoztan

If there was some material that could be heaed and moulded and stretched, I'd get it. I would want a darker color carpet than the stock grey, and besides, my carpet has a nasty burnt looking spot (no clue how it got there).

Bryan

spitfiremk16

i know you can get aftermarket carpet on the internet for a fwd 5th gen. you would have to get a sample from the company selling it to match the color you want to get. i have the carpet from my fwd 5th gen in my alltrac. it fits a little tight in places and loose in others but it works.

tubasteve

The tunnel where the drive shaft goes is a little tight is what was said, there was a company willing to make a mold a few years back, just no where near me.
-jr

toayoztan

Is there some kind of flexible resin/fiberglass-like material? WTF am I talking about and why?

Well, I was thinking of making a mould of the carpet area in my car. Lay down some plastic sheeting or saran wrap material, lay down that resin/fiberglass like material so when it dries, it can still flex but retains it's shape, then just get some carpet and work it onto the mould and glue it down securely onto the mould. This way, I can remove the carpet w/o having to glue it to my car.

Seems like a bit of work and maybe completely ridiculous, but what do you guys think?

Bryan

temperacerguy

tubasteve":ujmig8h9 said:
The tunnel where the drive shaft goes is a little tight is what was said, there was a company willing to make a mold a few years back, just no where near me.
-jr

I contacted a company in Atlanta that seems to be willing to make molded carpets for many obscure vehicles. I'm waiting to hear back from them, and there are many all trac owners in Georgia who I am sure would be willing to donate their cars for a few days.

celigts

Yea would be nice to find a carpet with an underside that melds at higher temps from a hot blow gun and form it to the areas needed.

Thanks alot for the links and info. Hopefully it'll go somewhere for new molds :)

tubasteve

I tried molding my own in my red car...looked okay, just poofy everywhere. Heat gun and 5 his later....i put the stocker back in two months later.

toayoztan

But how about making a mould with flexible fiber glass like material or any flexible material, and glue carpet to that.

Any such material?

Bryan

tubasteve

toayoztan":3rd6blkd said:
But how about making a mould with flexible fiber glass like material or any flexible material, and glue carpet to that.

Any such material?

Bryan
Good idea.....too lazy, I'll go no carpet before trying again :sad:

toayoztan

I don't mean using a heat gun.

Basically, lay down plastic/saran sheeting directly onto the car floor bare, then lay down flex fiberlgass/resin material ontop, which will give you a hardened shell of the interior carpet area (but allow it to flex somewhat so it's not just a sheet of hard fiberglass). Then take it out of the car, remove the saran/plastic sheeting, then permamently glue the carpet to that shell, put it back in the car, and one.

Bryan

celigts

Definitely going to also proceed with this idea once my fuel issue is resolved. Might stop into a few interior or appostry? Places to have an idea how they would do it and other questions

CMS-GT4

toayoztan":2a7bbn0w said:
Is there some kind of flexible resin/fiberglass-like material? WTF am I talking about and why?

Well, I was thinking of making a mould of the carpet area in my car. Lay down some plastic sheeting or saran wrap material, lay down that resin/fiberglass like material so when it dries, it can still flex but retains it's shape, then just get some carpet and work it onto the mould and glue it down securely onto the mould. This way, I can remove the carpet w/o having to glue it to my car.

Seems like a bit of work and maybe completely ridiculous, but what do you guys think?

Bryan

Might want to look into these. After getting all season mats for our Pilot I kind of like the idea of a rubber floor that you could clean easier and not need a mat at all.

Vinyl mats
http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpeting.htm

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/custo ... 22840.aspx

I have read about using bed liner, but I think overly textured would be hard to clean.

I am thinking about laying down a vinyl on my rear hatch floor instead of painting it. I wanted a textured black, but CF is the only thing that seems to be offered. I am thinking of just getting a flat black for the hatch interior and being done.