Stock Interior Question 91 AT US Model

dkenned1

So the interior of the car I have is dove gray.

I bought replacement seat covers from a breaking yard in the UK... and they're in great shape.

The only thing is it looks like vs. stock the surround material (not the insert) appears to truly be gray and the old ones are a bit blue (possibly due to sun fading or other environmental factors).

That being said they gray ones also have a velour/velvet as the surround solid color and the ones i'm replacing have more of a mesh, rough texture.

The question is... in your stock interior in say a 90 or 91.... what do the seats look / feel like? Velvet/Velour or more rugged?

dkenned1

I'll get one up today

I have a feeling that these were shipped with two different fabrics

And all Trac with cloth is not as common as leather from what I've seen

Kurt_st185_gt4

Yeah I don't think the cloth was as common on alltracs but I have cloth in my gt4(euro model) and they feel brand new and the best part is they're easy to clean.

dkenned1

IMG_1855.JPG

This is the close up. So I get that the fabric could be blue... but the interior on the car is DEFINITELY GRAY all of the trim (and you can see it in the other photo I will post, is gray, not quite black but dark gray)

I'm nearly certain this fabric came stock. in fact 99% sure. The Blue one is what i'm taking out, the gray is whats going back in...

dkenned1

this was from an old thread.... same exact thing i'm illustrating

P1050746.JPG

Kurt_st185_gt4

Hmm... seems like the color was slightly darker for that one batch of cloth. Maybe someone a toyota put too much dye in with them :shrug:

My seats look like the set on the left an it was in a warehouse for 5 years.

dkenned1

See you might think it's the dye lot but the fabric is different. The insert is the same though

When not looking at the faded part it's very dark almost black

The gray ones are like velvet and the blue ones are like burlap (exaggeration)

It might help to know my all Trac is aquamarine pearl like the other guy who was complaining about the back seat in the 2010 post

But the interior dash and etc is all dove gray and so is the carpet

Synchrite

The comparison photos were mine, I have several more laying around someplace. Unfortunately the 1991 GT-S (aquamarine pearl) is no longer in my life :cry: but the 1990 ST185 certainly is. The seat material and actual shape is vastly different. Non interchangeable, the seat is actually molded different to accomodate the rear drive train tunnel. 4th gen rear seats are able to be squashed into an alltrac despite this issue and work decently well... but st184 etc don't seem to work in a 185.

As far as the texture goes, velour is very close to how the stock seats feel. Burlap is a very good approximation for the 91 seat texture as well. I have both driver seats and can take some photos of both if requested.

What I was actually illustrating was the shape of the bottom seat cushion itself, my GT-S seat covers could not fit the all trac :( different piece entirely.

dkenned1

Well I noticed because I bought a set of covers out of an all Trac thinking gray was gray for all models.

Once I compared the rear seat sides I noticed the difference.

So I'm done recovering the back seats and going to start on the front. I'm fine with the gray but it's not the factory fabric and color...

And if anyone else tries what I'm trying be aware that doing hog rings on upholstery is not fun and it takes a good amount of time and hands with a lot of endurance. The bottom back seat was particularly tough.

I think this navy fabric only came on the aquamarine pearl which is pretty rare from what I've seen.

dkenned1

The problem with the originals was worn out driver seat bolster due to getting in and out of the car and the rear seat tops were pretty sun faded.

And I've looked for these fabrics particularly the insert fabric.. GOOD LUCK.

Finding a Japan made fabric this old you might find DB Cooper before you find that fabric on a spool.