ashtray blank?

EvilStig

Did any of these cars come without an ashtray? and if so, is there a blank out there that covers the hole where it would be? I'm wanting to remove mine and put an EBC in there but want something nice and flush I can mount it to. Any ideas would be appreciated.

CMS-GT4

AFAIK there was a non smoker jdm ash tray. Its expensive, and is really just an oem ashtray with no smoking sticker. If you want flush, you'll have to make something.

Old post, but thought I would reply. When I restored my 93 ST184 convertible, I put in the GT-S/All-Trac sport seats in it, with the powered lumbar & bolsters, on both the driver & passenger sides. The power seat switch spot on a convertible is used by the power rear quarter windows switch. So I removed the ashtray, made a custom hard plastic insert where the ashtray was with cutouts for both power seat switches, painted it black and permanently glued it in. That worked perfectly. Sounds like you could do exactly the same, as I don't think there is an OEM option available for you.

EvilStig

93celicaconv":34kfqig3 said:
Old post, but thought I would reply. When I restored my 93 ST184 convertible, I put in the GT-S/All-Trac sport seats in it, with the powered lumbar & bolsters, on both the driver & passenger sides. The power seat switch spot on a convertible is used by the power rear quarter windows switch. So I removed the ashtray, made a custom hard plastic insert where the ashtray was with cutouts for both power seat switches, painted it black and permanently glued it in. That worked perfectly. Sounds like you could do exactly the same, as I don't think there is an OEM option available for you.

I tried--like really tried--to make a custom insert for it but I just couldn't get one to fit in right... do you have any pictures or tips pertaining to your process for that? I'm still without anything to fill the hole in my dash.

I'll take a pic this weekend of the installed switches in the blank I put in where the ash tray was. I'm putting in a better looking power top switch this weekend, so I'll be pulling the winter cover off it it and will be messing with it anyway. Hopefully I'll figure out how to post a good pic when I have it.

EvilStig

93celicaconv":agnwyw38 said:
I'll take a pic this weekend of the installed switches in the blank I put in where the ash tray was. I'm putting in a better looking power top switch this weekend, so I'll be pulling the winter cover off it it and will be messing with it anyway. Hopefully I'll figure out how to post a good pic when I have it.

awesome thanks! If you're gonna have it apart I would love to see a pic of the back side too and how you have it mounted into the bezel. That was the part I struggled with the most.

I usually just throw my pics up on imgur for sharing on here.

EvilStig":2k1ncgvw said:
awesome thanks! If you're gonna have it apart I would love to see a pic of the back side too and how you have it mounted into the bezel. That was the part I struggled with the most.

I usually just throw my pics up on imgur for sharing on here.
I wasn''t planning to take that bezel out. Because of how fragile that is, I prefer not to. I have a spare bezel and I'm going to the body shop that put that filler piece in - I'll inquire about that tomorrow with the body shop.

Sorry for the relatively poor pic, but I only uncovered part of the vehicle, and it was pretty dark inside the car. But here is what I have. I didn't get a chance to get to the body shop that did the work today. But as you can see, putting in a blank piece in place of the ashtray is possible, which is now housing both seat switches in my ST184 convertible.

Attachments

• IMG_2782R1.jpg
    IMG_2782R1.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 2,430

EvilStig

okay so I pulled it again for another attempt, this time using metal shears instead of a dremel and a hot knife, and had much cleaner results trimming a panel to fit. Lots of filing later, some two part epoxy, and some hot glue for extra support...

rWhKJO0.png

I think it came out great!

underscore

That looks awesome, it seems like a good spot to use since now I don't even have change to keep in there.

On a side note what's the exhaust switch for?

EvilStig

underscore":1cqpvrn8 said:
On a side note what's the exhaust switch for?

Varex exhaust. It has a motor-driven baffle that opens/closes, so you can have the performance of a straight pipe at the track and the quiet of a good muffler on the street.

underscore

That sounds super handy, installing and uninstalling a silencer constantly is kind of annoying and it doesn't really work that well.