Oem radio harness

superboonan

After hours of searching, does anybody know how to get the harness for this oem st185 radio? and also Im intrested in the black connector which is under, I guess it's for a cd changer

Attachments

• 42491500_456488604839634_8696705803941314560_n.jpg
    42491500_456488604839634_8696705803941314560_n.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,046
That 14-pin connector was used until about 1990 (a few carried into 1991) Toyota vehicles that had external amps. Toyota transitioned to a 15-pin connector about that time (again, used on vehicles equipped with external amps).

GIven this, does your vehicle already have a Toyota external amp? What year/make/model vehicle to you have? Your radio most likely does not have an internal amp to drive speakers directly.

And yes, that circular connector is for a 1-din piggy-back CD player.

superboonan

93celicaconv":12ss4r1x said:
That 14-pin connector was used until about 1990 (a few carried into 1991) Toyota vehicles that had external amps. Toyota transitioned to a 15-pin connector about that time (again, used on vehicles equipped with external amps).

GIven this, does your vehicle already have a Toyota external amp? What year/make/model vehicle to you have? Your radio most likely does not have an internal amp to drive speakers directly.

And yes, that circular connector is for a 1-din piggy-back CD player.

It's a 91 st185 with system 10 so it has a external amplifier under passenger seat

Then you have a headunit wiring harness, right? But is it a 15-pin connector on your harness, and you have a 14-pin connection on your headunit?

superboonan

93celicaconv":82hoqcwb said:
Then you have a headunit wiring harness, right? But is it a 15-pin connector on your harness, and you have a 14-pin connection on your headunit?

I have no connector on my harness, previous owner cut it of and gave me the original radio with me and now I want to reinstall it

So all you need is an original 14-pin harness connector with a pig-tail so you can splice your harness cut wire ends into the pigtail?

I know I have at least one 14-pin connector pigtail cut from a salvage harness, but I use that for testing purposes outside the vehicle. If I have another extra one or two, I might be able to help you there.

I suspect what you seek is this. Only problem for me is this is my only spare. I thought I had more (and I do have more 15-pin connectors), but I don't have more of these. I'll let you know if I come across one in my future salvage yard hunts.
image.php

image.php

superboonan

thank you, yes Im pretty sure that's the one. do you know which toyota models had them? that would make it a litle bit easier to search

Most any Toyota model that came with a high-end sound system supported by an external amp, generally from model year 1990 down to about 1988. Land Cruisers in that era had small amps just behind the head unit, where this connector's harness was perhaps 6" long - if you could find a 4Runner or Land Cruiser in this model year range with a high-end stereo system in a salvage yard, the chances are high you would find the 14-pin connector you seek by cutting off the harness with the 14-pin connector between the small amp and the head unit.

I'll keep you in mind in salvage yard hunts. Only issue is vehicles this old with all the stereo system intact in a pick 'n pull yard would be extremely scarce these days.

superboonan

93celicaconv":16vu0wka said:
I suspect what you seek is this. Only problem for me is this is my only spare. I thought I had more (and I do have more 15-pin connectors), but I don't have more of these. I'll let you know if I come across one in my future salvage yard hunts.
image.php

image.php

I was searching ebay for the connector and found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/WIRE-PLUG-CONN ... :0&vxp=mtr

it looks like it a 14 pin connector and also looks similar do you think it's the same?

I honestly cannot tell you. The 14-pin connector appears to only have 8 wires going to it. Do you have the sockets and wire for the 6 missing from that connector?

Otherwise, I just purchased a used 1-piece / 2-DIN unit on eBay that comes with an amp that certainly has the correct 14-pin connector on it. I can't tell you if the wire color codes will match what you have on our ST185 or not though. But if the color codes for that 14-pin connector are in the service manual, I could cut that connector off the amp (I don' t need the amp) and send you the pigtail with the correct wire color code chart, so you can connect the correct wires from your ST185 to the wires coming out of the correct pins on the connector.

If you are OK with say $20 for the pigtail and copy of the wire codes to the pins from a service manual (if they are there) plus shipping, I'll consider that for you. Just let me know.

superboonan

93celicaconv":3hy75y1x said:
I honestly cannot tell you. The 14-pin connector appears to only have 8 wires going to it. Do you have the sockets and wire for the 6 missing from that connector?

Otherwise, I just purchased a used 1-piece / 2-DIN unit on eBay that comes with an amp that certainly has the correct 14-pin connector on it. I can't tell you if the wire color codes will match what you have on our ST185 or not though. But if the color codes for that 14-pin connector are in the service manual, I could cut that connector off the amp (I don' t need the amp) and send you the pigtail with the correct wire color code chart, so you can connect the correct wires from your ST185 to the wires coming out of the correct pins on the connector.

If you are OK with say $20 for the pigtail and copy of the wire codes to the pins from a service manual (if they are there) plus shipping, I'll consider that for you. Just let me know.

Yes sounds great, are you willing to ship over seas? And I found on the internet a manual for my radio which tell my which wire go where

You're in Finland, right? Can you give me your mailing address? I can see what the shipping cost would be once I pull everything together. Then you can decide if you want to pursue or not.

superboonan

93celicaconv":ua975szv said:
You're in Finland, right? Can you give me your mailing address? I can see what the shipping cost would be once I pull everything together. Then you can decide if you want to pursue or not.

Sent pm

superboonan

IMG_20181028_174236.jpgMight as well post this here incase it helps someone else
the cable you sent fits my radio very well but the colours doesn't ad up to mine so I have to find a colour diagram for my radio. I found a wiring diagram for my radio but without colours.
Atleast I should have all the stuff I need, now I only how to figure out how to wire it and then I can start making the bluetooth adapter :D

Attachments

• IMG_20181028_173937.png
    IMG_20181028_173937.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 1,401
  • wiring-diagram-for-fujitsu-ten-car-stereo-best-contemporary-fujitsu-ten-wiring-diagram-ideas-e...jpg
    wiring-diagram-for-fujitsu-ten-car-stereo-best-contemporary-fujitsu-ten-wiring-diagram-ideas-e...jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,401
I sent you a 90-91 ST185 wire color chart with the pigtail I sent you. You should use that color chart to match up to your existing car wiring harness that has the connector missing to understand what pin numbers on the connector match up, then wire up the pigtail by the pin numbers (regardless of the color of the wires coming out of the pigtail). It should be straight forward. I looked at my ST185 and the color chart matched up what the radio connections were perfectly.

What are you feeling you are missing?

superboonan

93celicaconv":1yozogkl said:
I sent you a 90-91 ST185 wire color chart with the pigtail I sent you. You should use that color chart to match up to your existing car wiring harness that has the connector missing to understand what pin numbers on the connector match up, then wire up the pigtail by the pin numbers (regardless of the color of the wires coming out of the pigtail). It should be straight forward. I looked at my ST185 and the color chart matched up what the radio connections were perfectly.

What are you feeling you are missing?

Hi I didn't notice before now that the diagram you sent matches my old harness I miss understood and thought it matched the colours of the pigtail without checking it sorry.
I'm not located where my car is now so it will take a while before I get to wire it but I took the radio and harness with me so I can see if it still works with my adjustable powersuply.
And see if I can get it unlocked (If it is?)

superboonan

I got it working with my powersupply but I can get any bruise or other sound out from it to test it.
I tried connecting a small speaker to the R-R and R-L but it was completely silent

superboonan":3746pjda said:
I got it working with my powersupply but I can get any bruise or other sound out from it to test it.
I tried connecting a small speaker to the R-R and R-L but it was completely silent

You won't get sound out of your radio. It has no amp. The 14-pin connector on your radio is sourced from an external amp. All your radio is capable of is sending audio impulses to the amp. The amp provides the power to the signals and sends that power to the speakers.

Many radios have amps. Such radios have aluminum fins (heat sinks) along the sides and/or backs of the radios. Radios with internal amps do not use 14-pin connectors - they use 2 separate connectors (one for power in/out of the radio, and one for power to the speakers).

I think we talked about yours having an external amp earlier - and you said your system does have an external amp, right?