does anyone else have this radio

superboonan

with a cd player under it? I would like to know how the cd player operates so that I could make a bluetooth adapter instead

Attachments

• P1090333.JPG
    P1090333.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,310
I'll check, but if this was out of a 1990 All-Trac, my son has 2 of these that both had this system in it (that 1-DIN head unit and a 1-DIN piggy-back CD-player). One is still in one of his ST185's and it works flawlessly. The other had a CD-player that no longer worked, so we replaced it with a period-correct 1-piece/2-DIN unit w/equalizer, and I still have the original old unit in storage.

Given this, what is it you want to know about it?

superboonan

Mine is a 91 st185, I would like to know if could change to the cd player via a button on the radio and if you could control anything else on the cd player from the radio.

I'll check if what I have in storage for the head unit is 86120-2B080 later this week. If it is, I'll send you a pic of the mating CD-player that came piggy-backed to this head unit. I'll also check with my son regarding its operation.

What I remember of these 2-piece systems is that the CD-player input to the head-unit activates the CD system (i.e.; a disc placed into the CD-player links the head unit input to be received from the CD-player, or pressing the play button on the CD-player that already had a disc in it links the head unit input to be received from the CD-player), and all functional controls of the CD reside in the CD-player as it has its own full set of control push-buttons on it.

So I think the answer to both of your questions is NO.

Why don't you get a 1-piece 2-DIN head unit instead of trying to use the radio you have? Such units have separate buttons you push to activate either the receiver, cassette player, or CD-player. It would have a single control system that links everything together. Plus those 1-piece 2-DIN head units are PLL synthesized to produce excellent output sound quality (provided you have the original or a good amp and speaker system).

superboonan

The reason why I'm trying to make it Bluetooth compatible is becouse I don't want to have a aftermarket flashy radio and other Toyota oem radios are very expensive, defective or looking like they been sand blasted. Also I have to rewire more since I have the system 10 soundsytem with an original external amp.
I found a wiring diagram for the radio so I know how to wire the Bluetooth receiver, and the connector to the cd player is a normal 13-pin din connector so it's easy to find

I was just wondering if it worked like that, that the cd player gave a signal or something to activate cd player sound input to the radio, if that's so then it should be possible to replicate the signal but instead the sound source wood be coming from the Bluetooth receiver

What I was suggesting was a 1-piece/2-DIN Toyota OEM radio, like the one this ebay posting (this one actually has your 14-pin connector pigtail you are seeking, but it lacks your diversity antennae port - https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-92-TOYOTA-L ... 3465682865).

However, if you are looking to see if the original external CD-player that would have used that round plug connector on the back of your head unit triggers the head unit to switch, then I think it will work for your Bluetooth adaptation. I can see if the 1990 All-Trac electrical service manual I have provides a wiring diagram to show this as well.

superboonan

93celicaconv":2mntekp3 said:
However, if you are looking to see if the original external CD-player that would have used that round plug connector on the back of your head unit triggers the head unit to switch, then I think it will work for your Bluetooth adaptation. I can see if the 1990 All-Trac electrical service manual I have provides a wiring diagram to show this as well.

That would be great, that would make it alot easier for me

Here you go. The first two pics are what USDM ST185 (All-Trac) radios looks like that would be equivalent to your radio. Note the piggy-back CD-player has the CD button on it, which triggers the radio to switch over to the CD. On the pic of the back, note the cable from the CD-player plugging into the radio. The radio has the 14-pin connection socket for the wiring harness.

The next 3 pics are what I was suggesting you consider as an alternative for your 2-piece setup, a single piece 2-DIN unit with all functions built in. This would be a direct replacement for what you have (14-pin connection, regular plus diversity antennae connections). These may be difficult to find anymore though.There are many others like this with identical front faces, the differences being if they have a diversity antennae connection or not, a flat wiring connection for steering wheel head unit control or not, and if it has a 14-pin or 15-pin wiring harness connection.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

superboonan

Thank you!
I'm going to try to make a bluetooth adapter work first with the radio I own now and see how that goes. If it works Maybe someone else is interested in making one but if I fail I might be able to get a double din one from the states since my brother is going to work there for a few months

superboonan

93celicaconv":1s0ycsty said:
I'll check if what I have in storage for the head unit is 86120-2B080 later this week. If it is, I'll send you a pic of the mating CD-player that came piggy-backed to this head unit. I'll also check with my son regarding its operation.

What I remember of these 2-piece systems is that the CD-player input to the head-unit activates the CD system (i.e.; a disc placed into the CD-player links the head unit input to be received from the CD-player, or pressing the play button on the CD-player that already had a disc in it links the head unit input to be received from the CD-player), and all functional controls of the CD reside in the CD-player as it has its own full set of control push-buttons on it.

So I think the answer to both of your questions is NO.

Why don't you get a 1-piece 2-DIN head unit instead of trying to use the radio you have? Such units have separate buttons you push to activate either the receiver, cassette player, or CD-player. It would have a single control system that links everything together. Plus those 1-piece 2-DIN head units are PLL synthesized to produce excellent output sound quality (provided you have the original or a good amp and speaker system).

I played around a litle with my radio now and have some questions about it and the cd player. the ACS button where I can change sound to jazz, rock etc gives "DEFEAT" as the last option, does this mean that it is broken or locked or something? the secound question is that what show up on the radio display when the CD player is selected? I tried to give it the current it needs to change to cd player but the ACS sound options comes on the screen instead. might be that it can't detect any sound since I haven't wired anything more

If I remember correctly, on these piggyback units (2 units, 1 DIN each), when the CD player is activated, the radio display and illumination goes out in favor of the CD display and illumination. It may be possible the ACS feature is active for all 3 audio options (radio/cassette/CD). The one All-Trac that has this particular system in it in working order is at my son's home and is in winter storage mode now, so I can't easily test it. I have my son's other All-Trac at my home, and I have 2 of these systems I could test on it, but the CD player on my 2 removed spares do not work, so I'm not sure I will get a true understanding of what should be on and what is not when the CD player is in operation.

Maybe others on this forum who have this system fully working on their ST185's can chime in.

superboonan

Ok thank you. Well it might work as it should then I thought it had a short-circuit when the ACS popped up but I might be just becouse it switched to cd mode then. In my mustang that have a similar system with a "external" cd player makes the stereo screen read CD when cd player is selected so I thought this would do the same