sunroof troubles!

slowgt92

Hello!

I have been having tons of issues with my sunroof, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what is wrong/how to fix it.

The motor would only make noise when pushing the close button, not the open or incline buttons. a mechanic friend said the motor itself might be blown, or that it could be wiring related. I also think part of it could be the track being clogged, or the roof off track. The car was sitting exposed in a field for over 5 years after all.

I read that the gears inside are plastic and like to shear off, but I don't know the condition of them, so that might be an issue as well??

Is it worth trying to fix? I have been searching for a new, or even remanufactured motor for months to no avail, and have been tempted to completely delete the sunroof. After all, the car is going to be a summer car only, and will be used as a track/ fun car, so a sunroof is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Any ideas on fixing it? or should I just delete it and save myself the trouble? :bangshead:

Thanks!

Magroo

Before you go tearing everything apart and fire the parts Cannon at it, test the relay control module that's located behind the light/buttons.

That's what it ended up being for me, But the tracks/gears could probably use a Good cleaning and lube job too.

I would suggest you check that sunroof relay control module unit as a first step also.

I think the service manual is pretty complete on what to check with a 12VDC light probe as a diagnosis process as well, would strongly suggest you do this.

Those motors don't typically fail, as they aren't used much during the life of the car. I have a couple of sets of used good motors with the switches and relay modules for these, as I have 3 5th Gen sunroofs in the family - but you can easily get a set from a local pick n pull - the same setups were used in GT's & GT-S's as they were used in the All-Tracs (assuming we're talking an ST185 anyway).