color matching paint for grey interior trim?

EvilStig

I'm trying to find a color matched paint to they grey interior trim on my ST185 so I can blend an a-pillar pod with the rest of the a-pillar.

sticker in the door says 3E5/LH10 although near as I can tell LH10 paint doesn't exist, and it may not even be a proper color code, since I can't find any other mention of interiors in LH10.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get factory matched paint, or even just have experience with any paint brands/colors that look 'close enough' on the st185 grey interior?

EDIT: Thanks to CMS-GT4 for suggesting color code# # 0497 Toyota Shadow Gray from vinylpro.com, it's a really close match. not perfect but I'm satisfied. You'll need to call them to order it since it's not listed on their site.

chriss402

Hi, I've painted a lot of interior parts with automotive paint. ( I owned an autobody repair shop for 12 years) Take a piece of the interior trim to your local automotive paint supplier to have it color matched. This will take a bit of experimentation to get the right shine level. Full matte will be too dull and semi-gloss will be too shiny. I normally find a sheen level somewhere between the two is perfect. But as I said its a bit of an experiment as you have to get them to mix it and then spray out a sample and let it dry. Don't float the paint on the part either or else the matting paste will sink to the bottom of the paint and it will look too shiny or you will cover up the grain in the part. Three light coats using a fast hardener works well. If its too shiny let the paint supplier add more matting paste. Once you're happy with the color match and sheen level scrub down your part with detergent, not soap ( same stuff you would use to wash your clothes) this will cut any residual Armorall that may be embedded in the plastic. Then wipe down with an automotive grade wax and grease remover prep that painters would use. You must use a plastic primer or adhesion promoter its sometimes called. After that you spray your part and presto its a perfect match! This method also works well to renew tired older plastics.

EvilStig

chriss402":2z6tpmdr said:
Hi, I've painted a lot of interior parts with automotive paint. ( I owned an autobody repair shop for 12 years) Take a piece of the interior trim to your local automotive paint supplier to have it color matched. This will take a bit of experimentation to get the right shine level. Full matte will be too dull and semi-gloss will be too shiny. I normally find a sheen level somewhere between the two is perfect. But as I said its a bit of an experiment as you have to get them to mix it and then spray out a sample and let it dry. Don't float the paint on the part either or else the matting paste will sink to the bottom of the paint and it will look too shiny or you will cover up the grain in the part. Three light coats using a fast hardener works well. If its too shiny let the paint supplier add more matting paste. Once you're happy with the color match and sheen level scrub down your part with detergent, not soap ( same stuff you would use to wash your clothes) this will cut any residual Armorall that may be embedded in the plastic. Then wipe down with an automotive grade wax and grease remover prep that painters would use. You must use a plastic primer or adhesion promoter its sometimes called. After that you spray your part and presto its a perfect match! This method also works well to renew tired older plastics.

Great info, Thanks! Sadly we no longer have a local automotive paint supplier that does color matching. Would purple power work in place of detergent?

CMS-GT4":2z6tpmdr said:
I use a paint that was made for our interior and all my orders have matched pretty spot on. PN is in description. In the video you can see what it looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWO8SrE6HlI

vinylpro.com? Thanks I'll give them a call.

CMS-GT4

EvilStig":3erpwiox said:
vinylpro.com? Thanks I'll give them a call.

Yep. Call them, cause they do not list it on their site. One of our members went to them years ago and got them to match it. I been refreshing parts here and there to match since then.