Running light problem!

I have a 92 alltrac that has recently decided that my dash lights, corner lights and rear running lights should no longer work.
67317916_2260977790685582_6587551985984077824_n.jpg
This is a photo of my interior fuse box. There is a fuse missing because if I insert a fuse and turn my lights on then the fuse immediatly blows.
Any ideas as to where I should look first and or what exactly this fuse controls.

awd3sgte4me

This is the tail light fuse. It controls the tail light which that circuit has a short causing the fuse to blow. On the top right hand corner there are two red relays. One is for defogger and the other is tail light relay. I would try swapping them. Doubt its the problem but worth a try. Anything that illuminates could be causing this short. Its just a mater of finding the short from here. I would start by checking the tail light bulbs/sockets/wires, the front marker lights harness and bulbs. The glove box light/bulb. Just make sure the wires arent exposed and or touching anything metal because that what would blow the fuse. Hope you get it figured out.

awd3sgte4me":1z3crmlc said:
This is the tail light fuse. It controls the tail light which that circuit has a short causing the fuse to blow. On the top right hand corner there are two red relays. One is for defogger and the other is tail light relay. I would try swapping them. Doubt its the problem but worth a try. Anything that illuminates could be causing this short. Its just a mater of finding the short from here. I would start by checking the tail light bulbs/sockets/wires, the front marker lights harness and bulbs. The glove box light/bulb. Just make sure the wires arent exposed and or touching anything metal because that what would blow the fuse. Hope you get it figured out.

Thank you for the info and suggestion. When looking for a short you look for continuity to find the affected area right? well my night time lights all show continuity to ground. It just so happens that every other light in my car also shows continuity to ground/ body. The fuse blows as soon as I turn my night time lights on and the only lights that are not affected are my headlights, turn signals, fog lights and break lights. Im at an absolute loss. I also tried swapping the relays but that dident do anything. I have checked every possible connection I can think of and they all look fine. I have to mention that my car was hit about a month ago on the driver side front fender and that is where i have been focusing my search but I have not been able to find anything.

underscore

Pull the bulbs out before testing, the element is basically just a piece of wire so they'll show as a short normally. You can also try pulling all the bulbs, replace the fuse and switch the lights on. Then put the bulbs back in one at a time and see when the fuse blows.

awd3sgte4me

That way just suggested would work. The reason headlights,turn,brake and fog lights work are because they are on a different circuit. If you have a volt meter it would tell you what bulb wiring is the problem. Take out bulb and check continuity (ohms) from connector. Ground the voltmeter and One side should show resistance to ground (a number close to zero) and that other side should show open (no number) to power. Connect meter to power source, one terminal should show resistance to power (a number close to zero) and the same terminal should be open to ground (no number). If that is too technical take out all parking light bulbs in the front and rear and license plate light bulbs (also on the same circuit).Turn on the parking lights. Put them in one by one until the fuse blows then you know its the wiring to that bulb that has the faulty circuit. To make it easier start by pulling the bulb to the same side that was in accident and leave other bulbs in and put in fuse and turn on circuit. if others work then put in the bulb and if the fuse blows you know its the wiring to that bulb.

sefiroxx

The circuits are designed to be separate but they share the original battery connecting and often the same ground point.

A bulb completes the circuit allowing current to flow to ground and back to battery. When the bulb is inserted, a short on the ground or any other circuit that shares the ground can blow the fuse.

You'll need a fsm to locate the ground points and what's connected to them. Disconnect the ground point and them use ohm meter to see which socket ground is still showing a short. Then search that wire harness for short/break