System 10 aux input

Wilrayca

93celicaconv":2j7bdf6y said:
simple":2j7bdf6y said:
Yes you would use the auxiliary cable for the Sirius radio input. The burned blank CD is what confuses people. You use that to "play" the source but the actual sound comes from the input like your phone, mp3 player, or sat radio.
I know this is a dumb question, but for me, I have to ask - how do you burn a blank CD?

Maybe related, if you can find these terminals on the to "mix" remote input into, can it be done on the cassette side? I still use the CD players a lot, but not the cassette. If something has to be operating to use the remove jack input, I'd be more willing to risk the cassette side than wear out the CD side. But I suppose one would need a blank cassette to make it work. Although I have several cassettes with the auxillary jack in the cassette to do this exact thing. I'm just thinking the sound quality by using a cassette with the jack isn't as good as taking the jack connections directly to the circuit board. Would this be a good assumption?

Same connection, it will play with a blank cassette as well. But you will get the hiss noise in the back ground. Cassette would be my preference as well. I messed around with putting a cassette in letting it ramp up then desoldering the drive motor wire on the tape side, but as soon as there is no audio the radio thinks there is no cassette and switches it off. I may keep experimenting on that as ideally I would like the aux to run off the tape, then less wear on the cd drive. My CD player works perfect now and I still enjoy using CD's too. Better sound quality than the MP3's. But its rare that I really crank it up anyway. Usually me and my wife driving with music in the background. It really is to just run Spotify drone out the rattles!

for burning a CD I was lucky. I still have an old MacBook that has a CD drive. I downloaded the 32 minute silent track from here, http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/
Drop it into iTunes and burn the CDR-

underscore

Wilrayca":25bla01a said:
Once you have access to the board, the connections you are looking for are the two at the arrow. They are connected to pin 6 and pin 25 of the IC chip, labeled as Line out 1 and Line out 2 if you look at the chip data sheet online.

Do you know which of the connections is the right channel and which is the left?

Looking at the diagram there's Line In 1/2 and PB In 1/2 (as well as a third option that's Line In with extra filtering?) that are selected between to drive Line Out 1/2. If it can be determined which of those inputs is the tape player perhaps those pins can be traced back to a spot where they can be easily interrupted. My thinking being that way any tape at all can be played to trick the player, and the sound won't get mixed with the aux input.

93celicaconv":25bla01a said:
underscore":25bla01a said:
In trying to find the pinout for this head unit to power it up and see if it has a security code set I realized it has a single plug on the back and my car currently has an aftermarket head unit going to 2 plugs. If memory serves that means this is a 90-91 head unit which isn't compatible with the later 2 plug system?
I believe both the single and the dual wiring harness connection types were used at the same time. The dual type is actually an older type used on head units with internal amplifiers (no external amplifier). The single type is used on head units with an external amplifier (the head unit lacks an internal amplifier). Your 86120-33110 is the 15-pin single wiring harness connector generally used from 1991 and later. At least that is what I have been seeing with these units over the years of having 5th Gen Celicas. I'm sure there are application exceptions out there.

Sorry it's been over a decade since I got anything new for a Celicas stereo and had to sort through this stuff, and even longer since I dealt with a stock radio in one, so I'm definitely mixing stuff up here. My car has System 10 with the higher wattage amp that's just a metal box and not in a fancy shell (I want to say 240W instead of the standard 220W?). I've got the 2 male and 2 female plugs which I know are hooked together in a stock setup and hooked right to the deck when not using the external amp. Meaning I should have the single plug (most likely a 15 pin) back there somewhere, I just don't remember ever seeing it so I'll have to go see where someone jammed it out of the way. Fingers crossed they didn't just chop it off or something.

underscore

I finally got around to trying the head unit in the car. The radio portion works fine, but when I pop in a CD or tape I can hear it doing something in there and then it pops back out. I'm not sure if it was already messed up since I've never had it in the car before now, or if I damaged it while adding the input, but if that sounds fixable to anyone let me know.

Am I understanding that you tried to install an auxiliary input on head unit which you didn't previously test to see if it worked?

If a CD is capable of still spinning in the head unit, the player will spin the CD and wait for the data coming in from the laser. If no data is received, it will stop the disc spinning and eject it. Often on these old head units, the lens gets distorted from heat and prevents it from reading the disc. It is also possible the height of the lens away from the disc is no longer correct, so it can't focus on the disc. It is also possible something is wrong in the wiring between the lens and the data input chip.

Only times I've seen cassettes automatically ejected is if the tape spools are prevented from spinning (at the end of the tape, for example, or if the cassette is damaged and can't spin).

underscore

Yeah in hindsight I should've tried it in the car first, but it powered up on the bench so I figured it was worth a shot. I tried two CD's, one tape, and one of those tape adapter things. Thinking about it more, it's been sitting in my basement for over a decade, I think it was 2008ish when my buddy took it out of his GTS and gave it to me. There's probably some dust in there on the lens and the head so I'll blast some air in there. I already put the Clarion back in the car but I'll hook this up on the bench again and if it behaves the same grab a video.