Wiring in portable MP3 into System 10

Stubble

I've got a portable MP3 player (flash card) that I want to wire into my System 10. I'd like to have one end of the wires loose with a stereo mini connector, so I can just plug in the player when I need to. Where should I wire in the preamp signal? Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like I have to split the signal to the 4 channels (FL,FR,RL,RR) and run these to the amp. Also, how would I tell the system 10 that I want this extra input? I could put a blank tape into the deck, but I'd still get noise.

Gary

Your MP3 player has speaker level output, not a preamp output. You will get lot of noise trying to amplify it with the System 10 amp, which takes preamp signal. However, you can do it with "line output converter". It converts speaker level to preamp level.

To make thing easier, you can just use this:
304169.jpg

Stubble

I can use the speaker level into my home theater receiver through any of the RCA pre-amp inputs in the back (such as CD or AUX), and the sound is pretty good (ie not too much noise). If it works on the home theater, will it work with the system 10?

How good does the tape input sound? I had thought of that, but didn't think the sound would be any good. Maybe it would still be better than running into the sys10 pre-amps?

Gary

I honestly don't know the answer to your first question.
For the quality of the tape input, it sounds pretty good, but will not sound perfect as the CD. However it will save you a lot from headache splicing the wires under the passenger seat. Give it a try.