wierd problem with my stock radio

Todd4126

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my stock radio. The whole left side is dead!! and the right side sounds distorted. Is that the radio or Amp? Does anyone know the problem or has come across it before. And if it is the radio, does anyone have a stock radio laying around for sale. I also heard that the radio won't work if you take it out. Does that mean if I replace the radio, I have to goto the dealer for that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks a bunch,

Todd S.
1992 All-Trac St-185
New Jersey

daveryan

When you say "radio" do you mean CD only, AM/FM only, or both?
System 10s (mine included) have a problem with low volume on the CD player (scroll down).
Mine ('90 two piece unit) did what you describe - low/no volume on one side, distorted on the other, but only with CD. AM/FM was fine.

If it's happening with all sources - tape included - it may very well be the amp or main preamp/outputs from the head.

The security feature - at least in the 90 - relies on a numeric code, which was never setup on mine, but the dealer should be able to tell you the process if it's not in the manual - and if you have the code!

Todd4126

I forgot to mention what radio... It's a tape-cd 10 speaker system...With the tape player not working(ejects when inserted) . I listened more carefully as I was driving and after 2 minutes of the whole left side going out(all speakers), it pops and then all the speakers work for another 2 minutes or so and repeats the process.. this is when I play a cd or radio or even satalite.....

Thanks for the help....

Todd S.
1992 All-Trac ST-185
New Jersey

Stubble

I tried replacing the capacitors in my System 10, but the instructions in that thread apply more to the one-piece dual-DIN setup in the 92-93's. So, I replaced all the 4.7uF capacitors I could find, and it worked great for about a week or two, but then it started losing the right side again. I'll probably give up on it and get an aftermarket soon.

Todd4126

Now I have another problem that might be related to the first one.. When i'm driving on the highway it works great, but when i hit the brakes or stopped at a stoplight the radio cuts in and out but if hit the gas either to drive or even when i'm idling and give it gas it works fine, and when I hit the brakes, i have the problem again. Everytime I stop...

Any suggestions would be grately appreciative. i'm thinking it's the radio or amp but can't pinpoint which one it is....

Todd S.
1992 All-Trac St-185
New Jersey

bigacuralvr

does it work when you rev the engine?? If so, you have a dead battery, or alternator...these cars cut out all the little stuff in order to keep the car running, na dnot stall out. And as soon as you rev the motor, it turns the alternator, thus charging the battery. If this doesn't fix it, I'll put my money on the amp. If its the amp, get 2 sets of good components, a 4 Channel amp, and a new deck...It will sound 10x better than your system 10 ever did.
Brett.

Todd4126

Yeah, it works when you rev the engine... I just replaced the battery reciently and had the whole electric system tested and it was fine. I have a feeling it is the amp or radio, but I wasn't sure which one...

I was thinking about getting a new radio/amp for it, but was trying to keep it stock....

Thanks for your help....

Todd S.
1992 All-Trac ST-185
New Jersey

bigacuralvr

go to autozone, or checkers and get your battery and alternator checked...sounds like a charging system problem to me....

boogiedown5150

Check all connections to speakers and to the radio itself. Check your ground. Also check all wires and make sure they do not have any splits in them and are grounding out on the car. See when your on the highway the car rides smooth but once your shifting or hiting brakes something is moving and shorting out somewhere.