MR2 better drag car than Alltrac?

theUNYTEDone

wizzards581":f4p66mck said:
do we have carbon fiber hood, fenders, doors, sunroof, and trunk yet? i would like to know...

hoods are quite un-elusive. seibon makes them. haha, and smaay(user)...as for the fenders/hoods, possibly. but things are much more common for 7th gens. low HP bastards.

TheAutoholic

gearhead313":1jrsjf7d said:
as far as comparing alltrac's to dsm's...

people have gone 9's on the stock turbo in dsm's. the dsm following is nothing short of psychotic.
Yup, a stock 1G DSM turbo (14B) is basically a super 16G and can reliably put out 22 psi. We cannot compete with that.

My answer to the drag car question.. Yup an MR2 will be a better drag car. But All Tracs were not designed as drag cars. They were designed as rally cars. Lets see a SW20 rally car. Oh wait, that would suck and no one has even bothered to spend the money on one. (TTE was building a crazy AW11 rally car for Group B before Group B got canceled, but that doesn't count)

MR2 = better drag car
All Trac = better rally car

And I am fine with that, you know why?

rally cars > drag cars

That is all.

theUNYTEDone

TheAutoholic":373k3qoq said:
gearhead313":373k3qoq said:

people have gone 9's on the stock turbo in dsm's. the dsm following is nothing short of psychotic.
Yup, a stock 1G DSM turbo (14B) is basically a super 16G and can reliably put out 22 psi. We cannot compete with that.

My answer to the drag car question.. Yup an MR2 will be a better drag car. But All Tracs were not designed as drag cars. They were designed as rally cars. Lets see a SW20 rally car. Oh wait, that would suck and no one has even bothered to spend the money on one. (TTE was building a crazy AW11 rally car for Group B before Group B got canceled, but that doesn't count)

MR2 = better drag car
All Trac = better rally car

And I am fine with that, you know why?

rally cars > drag cars

That is all.

lol, tell that to pat with his 10 second 185

TheAutoholic

what are you talking about?
build a copy of that engine, and put it in an mr2. watch it destroy the alltrac.
the awd helps out with the launch, but beyond that it's a friggin parasite.

jlspec

MR2 = Drag Racing
GT-FOUR = off-roading

Simple answer, do the math and see the power to weight ratio difference.

If you need a better example? JDM CRX B16 > JDM Integra B16.

SuperWhite92

TheAutoholic":m7cp8q3v said:
gearhead313":m7cp8q3v said:

I'm not sticking up for the DSM's here or for our CT26's, but those statements are insane.

a 14b is tiny compared to a 16g, both on the compressor and the turbine side. It will not make as much power as any of the various 16g's. The 2nd gen turbo was pathetic in comparison, but no way, even if hell became an ice-skating rink, could a 14b go 9's. 14b's until very recent casts, are also known for cracking in half. I'm not kidding, I have one in the garage right now that did crack. They don't hold up well to heat due to the materials used.

A 14b can flow 375 cfm
A 16g can flow 505 cfm
A big 16g flows 550cfm,
and the evo 16g 565 cfm.

On a side note, the first 3S (DSM sorta) went 9's this week. Both turbos were bigger than 16G's.

theUNYTEDone

TheAutoholic":1zkkyctz said:
what are you talking about?
build a copy of that engine, and put it in an mr2. watch it destroy the alltrac.
the awd helps out with the launch, but beyond that it's a friggin parasite.

taaaaake it easy, killer. :lol:

it is most definitely like comparing apples to oranges, in some ways.

but would you know what type of traction issues you'd have with that 2 if you did the swap?

d1alltrac

theUNYTEDone":t0br9977 said:

but would you know what type of traction issues you'd have with that 2 if you did the swap?

nothing some drag slicks and wheelie bars cant handle...lol

theUNYTEDone

d1alltrac":3bgi936r said:
theUNYTEDone":3bgi936r said:

thank's for backing me up, patrick! lol

i AM aware that the MR2 would be better with equivalent mods on the straight. like i said, apples to oranges, mates.

TheAutoholic

theUNYTEDone":tuqvabzp said:
d1alltrac":tuqvabzp said:
theUNYTEDone":tuqvabzp said:

thank's for backing me up, patrick! lol

i AM aware that the MR2 would be better with equivalent mods on the straight. like i said, apples to oranges, mates.
It is apples to oranges, but the question was still asked buddy.

He asked the question, I posted an answer. 8)

toytech

one advantage the alltrac does have at the drags is it doesn't wheelie on independant rear suspension and try to put you into the wall as it turns right
or left. The suspension I believe is what has limited the mr2's et's, definitly not power. The alltrac although heavier, is easier to drive at higher power levels. :smokes:

vip09

theUNYTEDone":361wov0r said:
hoods are quite un-elusive. seibon makes them. haha, and smaay(user)...as for the fenders/hoods, possibly. but things are much more common for 7th gens. low HP bastards.

Hmm low HP bastards?

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216018

mwr404whpceligts.jpg

GT4times2

Shaun, you are too much. Shut'em down easy...lol.

I have been thinking about those 00+ Celica GTSs recently. I was asking myself what numbers the few that had turbo kits were getting, and wondering why there arent more Celica GTSs on boost. Those are some pretty impressive numbers though. Remember that car weighs about 2500-2600 lbs. 300whp alone on those Celicas is sick. That one is making something like 404whp. Im very impressed.

Now about the Alltrac vs MR2 question, when some bring in the argument that the Alltrac was made only to rally, I laugh. The reality is that most people who have them dont. Granted there are some examples of privateers rallying them. I do agree that it was the car's intended purpose, but let's ask ourselves the same question: Where DSMs made for the drag strip? Clearly not if you want to bring in the fact that their drivetrain is weaker than ours. But they have a tight nit community and a thriving aftermarket. I say the same for the MR2. But weight is the enemy of the Alltrac, then go look at the DSMs, they weigh the same. It's a matter of excuses for the Alltracs imho. :wink:

SuperWhite92

I agree. 404 whp is astounding out of that motor and would really move in one of those Celicas. However, when comparing to 3S "high" power, it still qualifies as "low power" :D

RedCelicaTRD

This is the same as the skyline/supra debate. The only reason the mr2 is faster in the 1/4 then a celica is because there is less celica owners with enough cash to build a monster. I would rather have an awd car any day...

gearhead313

RedCelicaTRD":4rznhufp said:
The only reason the mr2 is faster in the 1/4 then a celica is because there is less celica owners with enough cash to build a monster.

good statement.

the secret to making any car a 1/4mile monster... now listen close....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$