mk3 supras and alltracs

lumbercis":qmn6vbox said:
^does he know that most downpipes can fit both the Celica and the MR2 Turbo? He'd certainly make more money if he could design it in such a way as to allow the same DDP to fit both cars. As a matter of fact, he may want to make an MR2 version first as thats where the business is.

J.

I let him know, he sounds interested as it is, I already linked him to this thread... you guys would LOVE the gains.

CryoSlash

Matt, don't bother with Simba, he is utterly a troll amongst trolls... this is the same guy who thinks that an STI tranny cannot hold power... and on that note, thinks that the supra community cannot possibly make advancements within the last 20 years. :doh: :lol:
I've seen THREE ct26 cars do 12s in the 1/4, hell one of the cars was even a 5 speed.
Simba":152cdxtb said:
Namely as trying to talk some sense into kids who think they're Gods gift to tuning because they have a 20 year old $1,000 car is simply a waste of time.
Hmm, sounds like a lot of enthusiast's no? can't all-trac's fall under that stereotype? And who do you think you are generalizing mk3s as most being run down, badly tuned cars? I have seen far many more strong mk3's then run down ones... and most of the ones that were run down were owned by the older generation who could care less for their car.

I personally run a Divorced Down Pipe, and would not have it any other way. The car WILL put down 300 with just the pipe and a full 3 inch exhaust. Why do i believe? Because one of our customers mark 3 made on a dying turbo, and a low compression motor, 281 rwhp and 337 ft-lbs of torque... so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Simba, I am glad you left the supra community, because it only takes one to spoil the bunch... and you look like an old brat who thinks his shit doesn't stink.

Red Rabbit

i was looking at the pics od the ddp downpipe. i like how it seperates the wastegate from the exhaust entirely and vents straight to the atmosphere. seems like it would cause even less exhaust constriction as a result. it would be interesting to see what kind of difference the design would have on an alltrac or any other 3sgte.

since some may not know what everyone is talking about i figured i would post some pics of this thing up.

ddp3.jpg

ddp2.jpg

ddp.jpg

Dracov

Hence why it's called a Divorced Downpipe. ;) It essentially eliminates turbulence in the exhaust due to the difference gas velocities between the turbine's flow and the wastegate's flow. Myself I would get a rerouted DDP, as that reduces the noise (DDP's are loud, loud beasts) and still retains virtually all the power gain benefits.

Another advantage would be that BIC's downpipes are basically made-to-order. There's a number of options that can be added on to suit the buyer's specific needs: Adding a wideband O2 bung, flex section, etc. Here's the guy's products page:

http://www.bicperformance.com/products.htm

Dracov":37hpl4ym said:
Hence why it's called a Divorced Downpipe. ;) It essentially eliminates turbulence in the exhaust due to the difference gas velocities between the turbine's flow and the wastegate's flow. Myself I would get a rerouted DDP, as that reduces the noise (DDP's are loud, loud beasts) and still retains virtually all the power gain benefits.

Another advantage would be that BIC's downpipes are basically made-to-order. There's a number of options that can be added on to suit the buyer's specific needs: Adding a wideband O2 bung, flex section, etc. Here's the guy's products page:

http://www.bicperformance.com/products.htm

Yep, like I said he makes some great stuff.

Anyway, as I said before he might be into building alltrac/mr2 guys a DDP :)... I'm sure he'll check here soon.

Dracov

Yeah, I've had one of his DDP's on a long wishlist for when I can get my poor old 7M rebuilt. Poor thing's gone 210k with little more than routine maintenance and a few coolant hoses replaced. And it's NA. :( After getting my ST165 home it became depressing to drive the Supra, so I don't anymore except to start the engine once a week or so.

Wreckless

On my Silver '87 Turbo I had a 62-1 CT26 with a full 3in/80mm exhaust w/3in turbo elbow. A hacked together homemade DDP picked up 22whp & 30wtq at 18psi, which brought me from 377whp to 399.2, and 428.8rwtq.

The rest of the setup was a VPC, SAFC, 550cc injs, MK4 TT pump, j-tube bypass, ZT2 wideband, upper IC hardpipes, AEM cam gears & an ACT street clutch. So, modwise I didn't have a lot of money in the car.
But in the process of actually learning the reality of keeping a 7M-GTE reliable at that power level cost me thousands and thousands more in proper maintenance/replacement parts, and lessons learned the hard way with blown motors.

Building a fast & semi-reliable 7M is quite a task, and I have to agree with Simba about the huge amount of 'knowledge' that is horribly mis-guided and overeager. I had to un-learn a great deal of things to get my MK3 to where it was.

As for the MK3 vs AT competition, I used to race my GF in the ST185 I bought for her in my red '89 turbo 5-spd targa MK3 daily I had at the time, and both cars being nearly 100% stock the 185 would edge me out about 1.5 cars to 50-55ish and I'd reel her back in around 70 and be ~2 cars past her at 100 or so. Both cars at stock boost.

lumbercis

^That sounds about right. Alltrac down low, Supra up high. The Supra should be mildly faster than an Alltrac anyway. Just not THAT much faster.

J.