Drag radials on a DD?

lumbercis

I was wondering if it is feasable for me to use Drag Radials on a daily driver? Supra guys seem to do it alot, but then again I imagine alot of those cars are weekenders. I live 3 minutes away from work, so I don't drive alot during the week. I make about two trips a week on the freeway ~50-60 miles round trip. I don't drive crazy on the street or run canyons or anything like that, so I wouldn't say I'm hard on tires.

I'm looking at 225/45/17, mounted on 17x7 +30 rims. Tirerack sells some BFG G-Force TA Drag Radials in my size for $143ea, which seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Assuming that DR's on a daily driver are a bad idea, what street tire will give me the best drag performance? Some guys on mr2oc suggested Falken Azeni Rt615. I found some on Edgeracing.com for $105! Thats damn cheap!

A friend of mine liked the BFG G-Force KDW-2 tire as an all-around DD tire. But I don't think he ever used them on the track. They have a nice high treadwear for a UHP tire (UTQG 300), so they will most likely last me alot longer than the Falkens (UTQG 200). But then again, they likely compromise the most in performance at the strip. $128ea from tirerack.

So any other suggestions? My price range is anywhere from $100 to $150 or so.

One last question. What is the widest tire I can get away with on 17x7 +30 rims, assuming stock fenders?

Thanks for your advice!

J.

esracing

i would rec toyo ra1 road race tire.very good traction and handling is the great price is about 160 to 190 each

gearhead313

I ran Nitto's on an 11 second 03 cobra i just got rid of. Thats my only DD DOT tire experience i've had. I wouldn't do it again b/c you need to put heat in the tires to make them stick. If you are just driving around and punch it, i'd have no traction through the end of 3rd and it got scary sometimes till they heated up.

awd might be different. I'd go with a really good street tire/autox tire before i'd go drag radials..IMO