NSCRA 2010 Drag Racing rules finalized

lumbercis

^I agree. I actually don't think any track car should have to run DRs because it seems that just about everyone who uses them, regardless of driveline, breaks more parts than someone using slicks.

But hey, part of sanctioned racing is doing the best you can with the rules of the class. Plus the more AWDs come out and race, the more likely they would be to make changes the AWD community wants.

BTW, word is that they will also be adding a "Street Stock" class as an even more entry-level way to get in the mix.

Mafix

slicks are ok on rwd because they need the traction. awd cars don't have that issue. and they said nothing about competition tires which can be just as sticky.

GT4times2

lumbercis":f493cdwx said:
http://nscra.com/classes/

Take a look at "True Street"

67.9mm turbo
2900lb minimum weight for AWD 4cyl.

Anybody want to have a go?

The turbo restriction rule is what's discouraging many AWD racers down here from even attending to race. Ask Pat why he hasn't attended the last 2 events :x . Him and plenty of EVo/Subie guys down here are up in arms about it.

There are 6cyl AWD cars too....ex: the Audi S4 that runs down here (car runs 9s, has a 3.0 VR6 set up, not the 2.7 TT motor, with bigger turbo, and AWD). At the time, there were no restrictions on turbo sizes for that car. How can Alltracs/Evos compete with Skylines/Audi S4s down here?

How can the car be in the same category as the Alltracs, EVos, Subies and run a bigger turbo, with more displacement? They should either go back to the old rules, or separate classes. As in AWD 4 cyl, AWD 6 cyl. If they did that, fine.

If not........ :x

Mafix

if you read the rules a bit more it states that motor swaps are only allowed within the same manufaturer. vw motor /= audi motor.

GT4times2

Mafix":1ra5lxh0 said:
if you read the rules a bit more it states that motor swaps are only allowed within the same manufaturer. vw motor /= audi motor.

I understand that, and that's not a problem for me. The thing that I and many racers don't agree with is limiting 4 cylinders, with a certain size turbo, and putting them against 6 cylinders with greater displacements and bigger turbos.

The Audi that ran against Pat has a 3.0 (if not more) liter displacement VR6 motor, and a bigger turbo. That car should either have restrictions, (such as turbo size), or be in a category with other 6 cylinder motors w/ AWD drivetrains (Skylines, VR4 Twin turbos etc). If that Audi had a 4 cyl VW motor, such as the 2.0 FSI, I don't think there would be any complaints/issues. It's still a 4 cylinder motor, in a class of 4 cyl, AWD cars.

Ironically, that car makes less power than Pat's car, but that's another story. :smokes:

BTW, it also runs 9s. :p

Mafix

pat has not run on a real tire yet. also the v6 should weigh more.
remember drag cars equal 3 things. weight, traction, and finally power. AEM had a 280whp car running 9's. hence all the strange rules. besides there is no ruling on boost level. and IIRC 4cyl can have 2 power adders.

Mafix

and he will continue to set the bar. thinking outside the box and being a drag car guy he has done only what is needed to go faster. not what everyone else is doing. and it shows.