making skid plates

Visual Styling, Spoilers, and rims

Re: making skid plates

Postby Toxygene » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:38 pm

That is AWESOME!!!

Now can you make it powdercoated colors.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Toxygene
Established Member

Postby BNZ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:31 pm

why ? does someone look under the car ?
Street ST185
Rally ST165
HillClimb Renault 5 GTE
BNZ
Club Member

Postby baktasht » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Amazing work and great looking pieces!
http://www.emspowered.com
baktasht
Club Member

Postby celigts » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:53 am

This was for the 165's right? Or was someone able to make one for the 185's cuz I'm looking to get one for my 185
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby BNZ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 am

I made one for a 185 also,so i have the designs and can make more. The only difference is that is a bit longer and the front brackets are different.
Street ST185
Rally ST165
HillClimb Renault 5 GTE
BNZ
Club Member

Postby celigts » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Could you post pictures by chance?
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby BNZ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:30 pm

I did not make any pictures of that particular one but is virtually identical with the one already posted above. There are only 2 small differences witch i also mentioned above.
Street ST185
Rally ST165
HillClimb Renault 5 GTE
BNZ
Club Member

Postby LegacyofDan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 pm

as of last weekend i finally got a chance to install mine.
I am very happy with the product. 100% bolt on(one spacer was lost in shipping but that was not a problem to large bolts did just fine). oil change hole, trans fluid change hole. perfect.
I will post details about everything in due time. but needless to say i am very happy.

one cell phone pic that i posted on FBook:
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby BNZ » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm glad it was all straight forward and thanks for the good feedback.
Also worth mentioning,the hole in the middle there is a hole for an extender pipe thing you need to fabricate in order to put on the jack and easy-lift the car. I will make pictures of mine when i make it.
Under the hole is the place you normally jack the car up
Street ST185
Rally ST165
HillClimb Renault 5 GTE
BNZ
Club Member

Postby underscore » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:19 pm

Bumping this back up, any chance you'd be interested in selling a template for one of these? I've got a bunch of sheet stainless lying around but I'd prefer to take the guesswork out of the process.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby underscore » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:04 pm

BNZ wrote:LegacyofDan's plate is ready to ship :)
Also I've made myself a plate for the diff in the back (last 2 pictures)...i don't think for most of you running on the streets is necessary but for offroading,better safe than sorry.

Hi, any chance you still make the front and rear skid plates? I'd like to buy a set for my 185 :)
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby freddie » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:06 am

For the record Stainless Steel does not rust. That is why it was invented... a material resistant to corrosion.
I have a china's motorola exhaust on my car and it has been there for over five years now. It has some deep gouges and a few dents, but no rust. Even at the welds. Now my dog's water bowl is a pressed stainless steel one. It has a rust spot in the bottom. Most likely that is from pollution in the material.

In my work I have designed, prepared shop drawings, and fabricated benches and the like for commercial kitchens,and food preparation areas, and meat processing factories, all the installation has been of stainless steel. Stainless Steel is selected because of it's hygienic qualities but also because of it's resistance to corrosion as the floors, walls and areas are washed down with steam or very hot water water, every day. Welds and such rust due to pollution in the making. In pollution I am referring to bits of steel (filings) from carborundum cutting disks, hacksaws, or files and sandpaper that some how drop out of the sky into your molten weld.

In a lot of competition cars where floors or skid plates are required, the skid plates are most likely fabricated from Chrome Moly Steel, Duralium Titanium or Aluminium. All of which are very expensive stuff.

The last skid plate I made (for a Morris (Mini) Cooper S to go rallying in) was made from Duralium. Basically the material is aluminium with a face hardening process. A hard material to work with such as bending etc..

For my 165, I have fabricated a guard to protect the crankshaft pulley and belts and the oil filter (the 205 3SGTE engine have the oil filter located at the front corner of the block) This I fabricated from 3mm Aluminium.

One of these days I will get around to making a sump/gearbox guard for my 165. Though I will never drive it on dirt roads or rallying it, you never know what you may run over driving down the Freeway or Highway . Once driving down the Freeway I ran over spilled building rubble (bricks and bits of concrete), that cost me a tyre, mag, cracked/broken front spoiler, bent up floor and gouges/dents in my 3'' exhaust.

Oh the material for my guard will be aluminium sheet. I love working with aluminium ha ha. Celica's already have enough weight hanging over the front end, I would not want to increase it by using steel. And stainless steel I hate the stuff.
freddie
Club Member

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods