ST165 Carbon Fiber Hood ...no love for 4th gen's?

zaluss

mickeyfinn":dl9ulhn3 said:
That looks pretty dang good...
whattaya think Mike?

Like I said I'm onboard either way :D

If we can convince Eric to send his hood for replication then I'm ok with that lol. I think he literally had the ST205 hood cut and grafted onto the ST165 hood and it wasn't cheap.

I sent the picture of that white ST165 to carbon-microsystems. They said that is pretty much exactly how they will try to make it.
The Company "VIS" got back with me and said they will not consider making an ST165 hood. Unless we could find at least 30 buyers, which is unlikely.
I know people that have purchased from both companies. They say carbon-microsystems is very fine quality compared to VIS. So probably not a terrible loss.
It's good that Carbon-Microsystems only needs minimum of 3 to get started...

I have Spare ST165 hood, and a Sainz ST185 Vent. Together cost me about $800.
I showed them to a local body shop and asked round about what it would cost to have them cut and graph the vent in so it looked factory. They said about $2,500 (just the labor). Assuming it would cost that much, it would be a $3,300 ordeal.

zaluss

mickeyfinn":2byft09v said:
I sent the picture of that white ST165 to carbon-microsystems. They said that is pretty much exactly how they will try to make it.
The Company "VIS" got back with me and said they will not consider making an ST165 hood. Unless we could find at least 30 buyers, which is unlikely.
I know people that have purchased from both companies. They say carbon-microsystems is very fine quality compared to VIS. So probably not a terrible loss.
It's good that Carbon-Microsystems only needs minimum of 3 to get started...

I've bought from Carbon Microsystems before as I got into the original group buy of the radiator panel. It fits mostly well and I'm pretty satisfied given it was a custom piece.

Since we have a mold to work with on the hood from a fitment perspective I think it will be fine. The only issue is he doesn't have access to an actual 4th gen locally. At least last I checked.

Speaking of, we should consider extending this to the ST162 crowd as I'm sure there would be interest.

Carbon-Microsystems says they have found another person that wants this hood. So we now have the required 3 people and are good to go if we want to continue ahead with this.
They also have access to an ST165 Hood that they can use to model this new product up with.

While the other 2 vents up by the windshield are functional, and probably needed, I'm wondering if not having them would look better, and maybe match the looks of the ST165 body style a little better?
What do you guys think?

Sainz Hood-13.jpg

So probably SOOO out of the loop - this still a possibility at all? Going to be doing the 'gen5' swap here soon and can use all the underheat cooling I can get

One is currently being made for 4th Gen (ST165) by Carbon Microsystems.
Here is a progress photo from June 20, 2021
QNYZ6319.JPG
A couple of us, Including Zaluss chipped in together to have a Sainz ST165 adaptation hood made, and CMS agreed to make some for us. They are finishing up the final details now, and should have the final product in a month or so.

email Daniel Naucevic at: info@carbon-microsystems and tell him you would like to place an order for one.

mickeyfinn":vbhnnc3w said:
One is currently being made for 4th Gen (ST165) by Carbon Microsystems.
Here is a progress photo from June 20, 2021

A couple of us, Including Zaluss chipped in together to have a Sainz ST165 adaptation hood made, and CMS agreed to make some for us. They are finishing up the final details now, and should have the final product in a month or so.

email Daniel Naucevic at: info@carbon-microsystems and tell him you would like to place an order for one.

Hecks yeah. I had a note from YEARS ago when I did my 215 swap into my old 162 about buying that scoop and having a bodyshop form it for me locally. Quote from the shop I used for all my other repairs was in the $1700-2000 range. They went out of business so now I'm on the hunt as I start ordering all my goodies for the new one.

I outta text Zaluss...haven't chatted with him forever.

88gt4DE

mickeyfinn":1hb9knl8 said:
While the other 2 vents up by the windshield are functional, and probably needed, I'm wondering if not having them would look better, and maybe match the looks of the ST165 body style a little better?
What do you guys think?

Damn , this is an old pic ! LOL :smokes: