ST165 Carbon Fiber Hood ...no love for 4th gen's?

gearhead313

I've done a bit of searching and it seems there is NO availibility for CF hoods for the 165. I saw one dude was trying to do a group buy to get them done from VIS, but it looked like it fused out.

If there really isn't a place to get one, then I'd be willing to look into getting them bulk made. A real good friend of mine did the same thing with Ford Contour hoods. Apparently they didn't make them, so he got a bunch of serious people to go in on the deal and he got them made.

I've been moving my extra hood around and it seriously weighs 30 tons, so i would love to look into this more if people would back it 100%. I'll ask my buddy next time I see him and get more info and let everyone know.

gearhead313

I saw something about the FRP one, but it seemed a little shady how it was listed. Plus, for almost $600 from bluemountain or whatever that company was, i'd try to get them made.

I couldn't find a place to actually purchase the cusco one.

klue

there really isnt any point of getting a oem replacement. we need a CF hood with a CS vent moulded in.

theUNYTEDone

klue":1vz27tme said:
there really isnt any point of getting a oem replacement. we need a CF hood with a CS vent moulded in.

someone actually did this...the vent was riveted though, lol...and fiberglass.

gearhead313

Thats what it was, bulletproof... not bluemountain or wahtever i said.

the cusco is all fine and dandy, but where is the pic? Still seems kinda shady to me. Has anyone actually purchased that hood sucessfully?

If they were to be made, the CS scoop would be definitly what everyone would want? I never plan on running an air/air TMIC, so I could care less. Also, its probably going to be a signifigant amount of money extra to have it done.

CMS-GT4

I think they don't have pics, cause they never keep stock. They have a listing from cusco as all they have to go by.

They didn't even know if their st185 hood was standard or CS type.

Roo's brother (roo works there) has a frp st185 hood, which ended up being a standard version.

They have them, but they know as much about them as you do.

gearhead313

CMS-GT4":2zddnf8h said:
I think they don't have pics, cause they never keep stock. They have a listing from cusco as all they have to go by.

They didn't even know if their st185 hood was standard or CS type.

Roo's brother (roo works there) has a frp st185 hood, which ended up being a standard version.

They have them, but they know as much about them as you do.

sheesh, that doesn't envoke much confidence in my paying for it completely upfront and then waiting to see what the freak I get. I'll pass.

gearhead313

I just talked to my buddy and got some of the details down. The only tough thing is the manufacture is overseas. I"m going to see if i can find a US manufacture and then go from there. If not, the overseas route still sounds pretty good. It looks like it works out to 400-450 per hood after everything is said and done. Don't hold me to that, there is still a lot more research I'm going to do.

I realize this is an old thread.
I’ve been wishing for a Carlos Sainz style hood made out of carbon fiber for my ST165.

I’ve found this company that makes a nice one for ST185.
https://carbon-microsystem.com/store/Ho ... p139736742

I contacted these guys, and they have agreed to make a carbon fiber Sainz style hood for ST165 if we can find at least 3 people that will buy one.
Price would be 1,400 euros plus shipping. ($1,716.00 USD)

Quality from this place is outstanding from what I’ve heard.
Any ST165 guys here interested in seeing if we can get these made??

zaluss

You can count me in though from a hood scoop design perspective I'm not 100% sold on using the ST185/ST205 hood scoop design because I don't know it really works well with the boxy 80's bodystyle.

Beggers can't be choosers though.

simple

Did someone say boxy?
5cada53290a1fa40e6adaf0c2c10a447.jpg

zaluss

simple":367n373f said:
Did someone say boxy?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210107/5cada53290a1fa40e6adaf0c2c10a447.jpg

Now that's more like it!

We should probably share this to the Alltrac.net and ST165 Owners FB group for more interest.

Since we won't be modifying our current hoods, and instead getting new additional ones, we can change back and forth... maybe?
Run your Sainz in the summer.... and factory in the other seasons...

ST165 engine bays are notorious for poor flow, and keeping a lot heat in the bay.

I like the idea of lighter weight hood, and a vent to get that heat out.

My understanding is they added the vent right over top of the turbo so the car wouldn't heat soak so much while standing.

Last summer. my IAT's were around 165F all day long. No matter what driving conditions.

I don't think it will look too bad, in fact kind of nice...