st185 body kit research and concepts (AT club homework)

CMS-GT4

So I figured I would start this thread to begin development of a possible st185 body kit. Something that would look good enough to possibly get a group in on to have made. Maybe even just a lip.
I think this should be a group effort and a design critique of toyota's design, aftermarket design and the aftermarket design of cars that share simular lines. This thread may not fruit a new kit, but it may lead us to the conclusioon that a good kit can not be made.

Over the years I have studied the body and design of the alltrac. Vs all the other cars on the road, the st185 most resembles the porsche styling.
The long front over hang, and curves the flares.

I think the st185 looks like what the 944 would have evolved into. Toyota claimed the alltrac was their version of the 928.

My goal is to come up with some parts that blend so well with the car, they almost look stock.

Here is your assignment:
We need photoshopers and 3d modelers in on this.
Here is a link to a model of a st185. You can use this to maybe do some concepts in a 3d program.
http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... hlight=lip

If any of you have a 1/24 scale 185 model you can try and do some sculpting on it as well.

For those who can't ps or model anything. Here is some other suggestions to help out. Find pics of cars that resemble lines of the 185. One car might have simular fenders, and another might have a simular nose etc..
Then find aftermarket body kits for these cars. Post pics and links. Then we can study them and maybe use these to help develop some ideas.

Let me start first with some of my observations.
The alltrac looks up to date for the most part. The grill and popups are a bit dated, but they hold the charactersitics of the car. I think some other things can be addressed that will keep the essence of the alltrac yet update the look a bit.
One of the aging parts is the lack of sideskirts. While it does not look bad, it could use something there.
I have been looking at the 18x vert skirts. They are small and might go well with the lines of hte 185. They are also not much lower than stock, so they do not make the nose look too high as if you used only skirts from a 18x a/m body kit. I have also concidered something simular to the veilside 350z skirts. They are smaller, and might be made to flow with the body better w/o making the car look too narrow and w/o giving as much risk of screwing them up on speedbumps.
See link for example.
http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageF ... =1&no=4315

The rear looks great. It might help if there was a skirt that hid the gas tank better. The savage rear skirt does this well. It look pretty good for the most part, except for having to mold it to the body. It might be a little too low as well. Maybe a tighter version of that might look good, with a better designed single exhaust exit.

The nose of the car suffers from the long overhang and upward sloping angle. Even though it looks great from most angles, this feature dates the look of the car since the trend of short front over hangs made popular by BMW. Even pickups and mustnags have a realativly short overhang now.
I think a lip would look good, but it would have to be very small. I think most of the lips are too low, and don't hep the looks very much. The alltrac is wider then it gets credit for and by adding too low of a body kit, it makes the car look too narrow.
I have concidered sculpting something like the supras OEM front lip. Or even trying to get one to fit.

While the alltrac is a great looking car, it might be able to be improved further if we al work together and bang our heads on this idea.

CMS-GT4

I like the savage lip less the curve at teh bottom. I think it flares out too much. I think if I was to get one, I would reshape it some and blend it down. I think it might also be a hair too low.

Here is a savage that I thought looked good.

celicagt13ok.jpg

As you can see here the lip sticks out too far for my taste.

celicat1865cz.jpg

Here is a quick ps I did of the lip on my car.

img4872bl7on6.jpg

toayoztan

Here's a quick PS job to show one exhaust cut.

celicat18alt1hx8.jpg

I agree that supra style spoiler isn't a good touch...just not for the car.

I don't like the center exhaust either, i love the angle exhaust look though. I think the Z skirts look nice.

Bryan

theUNYTEDone

great work!
i think that with the veilside Z sideskirts, and the PS'd rear bumper on that white car w/ the supra wing would be awesome!

having that rear bumper but does so much for the car...i've been pondering ideas for this.

who was it that had the CF front splitter on their 165? i believe it was for a tC, too...can anyone confirm?

*EDIT!!!*
here's a pic of the style of front splitter i speak of, i know its not off a car that matches our lines, but its the exact same way installed:

STI_front-side.jpg

CMS-GT4

I think if a subtle lip can be installed that mades the bottom of the front bumper straight, a splitter like that could be used.

Here are a few quick PS's I did just to get an idea of how things might look.

Black lip (Supra OEM style)

savagetestrc2.jpg

Vielside style skirts. (This might be able to be done much better.

vielsideskirtsqm4.jpg

skirts from a st18x vert. I think I like this the best. Its the most subtle. Its also not too low, so a less agressive front lip might flow better, such as the supra style)

vertsideskirtsjz3.jpg

A quick PS of the savage rear on my car. I think the exhaust hole might need to be modified to look right with larger tipped exhausts.
savagereartestdm4.jpg

lumbercis

Are the vert sideskirts bolt-on for us? I think on my black car, some rear mudguards, vert sides and CF lip like on that STI would look killer.

I also think a modified supra OEM lip might look good on the front.

I'd really like a different rear spoiler as well. Something like the '94 '95 two post spoiler on the 6th gens might work. I just can't get happy with the OEM spoiler.

In general, I'd say there are lots of side and rear options that look good, but the front is alot more difficult to make look good. Our cars actually benefit alot from sideskirts, but the front of the kit usually kills it.

Lastly, I don't know why more people don't use the two versions of the Aero Magic lip more often. It is EXACTLY what most people describe when they talk about wanting a subtle lip. This should really be alot more common on our cars.
J.

CMS-GT4

I think that lip is ok, I think it could be improved by raising it some and not being so divided from the regular bumper.

If I can find the garage cruise race celica, there is a decent side skirt and rear bumper on it. It was taken from a st205 kit.
EDIT:
The CF splitter does give me an idea for a lip though.

wcelica405.jpg

I like the rear of the car too.

garagecruiserear5uu.jpg

A quick PS of no wing and molded rear bumper and maybe a little better red (less jdm pink)

garagecruiserear5uubo3.jpg

Here is a thread in the past where I discuss the alltracs lines.

http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... age+cruise

theUNYTEDone

those front bumper things on the garage cruise car do a lot, i think...

are those like the ones highway bought?

sideskirts on that car are also awesome! and it also looks very good without a spoiler. muahaha....i guess as far as our car's ass ends go, its all about the right suspension setup, too.

CMS-GT4

I think this is the kit on the garage cruse car. F/R. The garage cruise 205 wears the same kit in hyper rev.

ImageFromDB.php

CMS-GT4

Here is a quick PS I did for the lip idea. It could be touched up, but you get the idea. It would slightly lower the front of the rc bumper, and extend to the wheel arch to either reduce the angle of the front bumper or make it flat. I also places a small cf diffuser under the lip.

You will have to look past the butchering they did to the stock bumper.

gclipconceptuj4.jpg

CMS-GT4

I forgot to mention, cause its hard to tell, there is a front lip already on the garage cruise car. Its a cut up version of the st205 body kit I posted they used. Its easier to notice in the hyper rev.

CMS-GT4

Here is an idea of what a ducktail might look like on the rear hatch. Adapted from a 6th gen spoiler.

ducktailreartestjv5.jpg

Denver_whiteST185

I know you guys are wanting form amd function out of your kit, but the only thing i want to do to my car is cs/rc conversion and some sort of splitter for high speed stability. However i would be concerned about it coming off at 130+ mph.

What about some sort of underbody aero? i plan on getting some custom aluminum underpanels to help sooth out air going under the car. Maybe rear underaero to reduce drag?

Sifu

Alright I spent most of the time fixing the model then actually modelling but with a decent base it's a lot easier to make things out of it. Bear in mind that the shape is what's most important. My gosh that model was a mess.

The first tests are simple tests. I will start getting to advanced ones soon. If anyone has any suggestions then please tell me. Really, even really bad ideas are welcomed because this is a great way to see what it can look like without having to sacrifice a lot of time and development. Who knows? A giant rear whale tail fin spolier just might look right with the right body kit.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

These first ones I tried to keep similar lines with the stock shape. I believe many owners here love the lines but want to enhance it without overdoing it. My idea of a bodykit has always been to enhance the exterior without making the car look too different.

Tazka

Hmm, ive been thinking how would rear diffuser like this look in all-trac
Im going to ps it when i have time.
evo-ix-3.JPG

CMS-GT4

Look at teh rear of mazda 3s and 6s. The slight rear skirt that are cut out for the black diffuser like plastic.

Sifu, first thing is first. Try and lower those headlights. ;)

I would not worry too much about detailing the body. If you can put all the detail in the body kit, we can take a pic of an alltrac in the same angle and photoshop it on.

I do not like the sharp edge opf the rear bumper on the fender line. Maybe if you round it off some. The rear may not need to be that extreme anyhow.

Thats pretty much the savage kit, right?

Sifu

I've always wanted the Alltrac to be wider. Reminds me of an Aston Martin.
1wide.jpg

2wide.jpg

3wide.jpg

4wide.jpg

5wide.jpg

6wide.jpg

7wide.jpg

Granted this one will require the most work but man I would do it!