st185 body kit research and concepts (AT club homework)

Tazka

So i made a quick edit of the diffuser:
st185diffuser.jpg

Eerm...something doesn't look right on it.

CMS-GT4

You might be going in the right direction though.

Car might need to be lowered. Or the diffuser might need to be higher.

Sifu,
What program are you modling in? The widebody kit would be tricky.
I think the front is easy to do. You front flares remind me of the Messiah kit.

The rear will be harder to do. I think studying the porche 911 rear fenders, supra rear fenders, 350z rear fenders and that one ps I did of a widebody concept a while ago, to do the rear fenders.

Here is the JGTC concept I did years ago.
I always wondered if a version of this bumper might look good on a regular alltrac.

15644gt4widebodyconceptfa9.jpg

CMS-GT4

I don't think that design is for everyone, or realistic for a street car. The wheel and tire size is huge. 22" or something, plus the wheel are is too high. I think the way the rear fenders are molded would be the best way to do a rear fender flare. The rear bumper is also extended and the rear trunk line is rounded out more. This would be sort of the start of a "show only" kit. Be near impossible to replace the parts, they would have to be remade.

The hood is a bit graish too. Some claimed its unfunctonal, but its the same hood suby used. So it must have a purpose.

The front bumper and rear flares are my favorite pars. Play with those on your model if you want.

WarTowels

With the first model, it might be more helpful to not have in in red, and just blend it together. The red makes it (for me) harder to imagine.

Also, kill the front lip jut. I think what everyone wants, is the stock lines- just lowered.

Which is basically the savage kit without the little forward lip.

Also, I think that diffuser looks sweet. It might look better if it took up less of the bumper width IMO.

-Towels

theUNYTEDone

the one that tazka made is awesome! i do agree that it needs somewhat of a drop though (the entire car)...what about doing something like this? hold on, im going to try and find it...

*searching*

rx7side.jpg

i notice that a lot of supras and 240's run with this idea. have the rear bumper that drops down by the rear wheels. our car have a HINT of that as stock (from a side view) but i think if the bottom of the rear bumper was dropped more, and it had that rear diffuser in there, itd really bring everything together.

Denver_whiteST185

I think you guys are giving some really good ideas in this thread.

CMS-GT4, that black model looks killer, but i don't know if i would like it in real life. Personally, i love the stock fenders. However, wartowels did a great job improving the looks with the molded bumper and sideskirts.

BTW Tazka, i don't know what you think looks wrong, but that rear diffuser looks perfect IMO. thats exactly what i would like to be made. now we just need to get a body kit company to get the same idea. Maybe we can start email them with this thread to see if any new products can be made.

Tazka

It's VERY much used material making bodykits, its hard and pretty light allthough not as light as CF. Most of the bucket seats are made of glassfibre, many many boats are made of glassfibre.

I don't know if it's only euro thing but anyway it's the most used material on bodykits here.

In finland it's more usual to see ppl making bodykits by them self than buying them.

Here's good example of fully self-made GF bodykit.
PIEN.JPG

Tazka

Ok, so i figured out that the width of the diffuser is ok, the thing that matters is the height it was too high on the first pic now i think it looks better, not too high not too low:
Old one
st185diffuser.jpg

New one
st185diffuser2.jpg

What do you think?

AWDios

Am I the only one who can't see a thing in that pic?

By the way, the glassfibre thing. We call it Fiber glass in the states.

Denver_whiteST185

SO, even though i don't like body kits really, the kit that this site (other than the stupidly obnoxious front bumper and wing) seems to be along the lines of what you guys like. the side skirts are straight down and make the car visually lower, it has a nice molded lip (which i kinda like), and this is the only rear diffuser kit ive ever seen (the pics of the diffuser suck). The funny thing about the diffuser is i doubt that it would be effective because of the position of the gas tank. Their pricing is also ridicules, but i figured it would be some more pictures for you guys to get ideas off of.

http://www.neeltec.co.uk/

CMS-GT4

I think he is way over priced, and I also think his lip is a savage knock off. Or at least inspired. I think the skirts are ok less teh weird part that oes over the fender.

I forgot about his kit. Even though he sells it, I think he might be the only one who wears it.

evo

Denver_whiteST185":21916e53 said:
(the pics of the diffuser suck). The funny thing about the diffuser is i doubt that it would be effective because of the position of the gas tank.
rear_diffuser_LARGE.jpg

This looks like a terrible photoshop

Denver_whiteST185

shadowlife25":1fpnw1z6 said:
So then is there a diffuser with a proven design?

No, with how low our gas tank sits, you would have to make a difuser of sorts that would sit lower so that it would be in the flow of air. the only real way to make a usable rear diffuser do this would be to do a project like this first....
DSC00269.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

(8 Gallon fuel cell if your wondering)

3sgte@daspeedof

Well I posted this on some of the other celica boards but didn't get many responses. But I might be able to help out the board if everyone can agree on something and I can get 5ppl interested in the parts.

I have the opportunity to have a mold made for the carcept lip & sides and for my Erebuni #398 front lip, those are the ones I currently have. If I have enough interest in getting these made, I will take it over and get it copied. There will be a custom rear available later as well as of right now I'm only looking at two options. Approximate cost would be $150 to $200cnd per part plus shipping.
Please No PM, jut respond in this thread.
Thanks for looking.

Carcept Front lip & sides

t18carcepta.jpg

t18carceptc.jpg

Toyota%20Celica-90.jpg

Erebuni Front
Copy%20of%20IMG_0088.jpg

t18ere398a.jpg

Bumper options.
t18carceptb.jpg

_whuererkit0000004f.jpg

3. No bumper just a nice clean lip
4. That Rear defuser idea could work but the rear would have to sit a few inches lower. Kind of like the pacfiffer rear, interms of how how it is.

Toxygene

I think the idea of a rear bumper cover and a diffuser seem to be mixed up.

A bumper cover like the pictures everyone are showing do nothing but add a nice big piece of plastic for air to drag on since the air gets caught behind it.

A real diffuser like on a Skyline with the idea applied to our car would simply be vertical slats of some material that would direct the air straight and directly out past the bumper. You could have another piece that would simply attach horizontally to the bottom of the rear bumper to keep air from hitting the back of the bumper and causing drag.

R34%20GT-R%20Blue%20side%20underbody.jpg

I have a detailed scale model of the Skyline which is where I got the idea for the functional diffuser as apposed to the "look at me I have a bumper cover just for looks" body kit.

3sgte@daspeedof

I understand the difference between the two, I listed the kits as thats what I would like to do, but I also mentioned that if you had a defuser, that "worked & was functional" not like the kits I posted it might be worth while to look at it.

Reason I thought of the pacffier one, was that it would come down to the gas tank, then you could have wartowels idea of a defuser added to it. You want it to bolt to the tank and rise up allowing air to flow under it(we all understand that). While still leaving it with a lowered/cleaner look. imo would look best. The pacffifer only adds a few inches to the bottem. But leaves you enough space to place a defuser still and have it look good.