st185 body kit research and concepts (AT club homework)

WarTowels

^Exactly.

It's definatly possible to have the best of both worlds. But like anything of this nature it's going to be custom, and most likely expensive. The worst part about the back end of the celica is the gas tank IMO. The bumper cover fixs that. Anything beyond that to me, is gravy.

-Towels

Denver_whiteST185

that diffuser on the skyline might work with a stock celica. it would help smooth out airflow and reduce any lift.

An ideal solution would be something like this that actually creates downforce and helps it stick to the road. it would require a lot of R&D and probably some sort of wing tunel testing or something similar.
http://www.madpsi.net/MR2RearDiffuser.htm
If you look up the new Nismo 350Z, they feature a similar design straight from the factory.

CMS-GT4

I did some quick ps'ing to Rene's car.

Top is stock,

Middle is a rounded lip w/ black trim like the SC300 and Supras

Bottom is close to the savage style.

I think the middle lip makes the car look more muscular and the bottom lip makes the car look more tuner/ modern.

stockvslipconceptsdp3.jpg

lumbercis

I like the supra-style lip in the middle pic. Are the dimensions between the OEM supra lip and the alltrac close enough to get it to fit with a sawzall and some bondo? :lol:

The lip in the last pic, and all the modified carcept lips you guys have come up with is already being made by Aero Magic in two different styles. Pick one! Okay, Im going to stop repeating this now.

The problem with this thread in general is that you guys are coming up with all sorts of custom stuff that is very similar to parts that are already being made. However, Ive never seen one person on this site actually purchase a body mod of any sort. Why make custom stuff if no one is even using the stuff that is out there now? Yeah, alot of it is crap, but not all of it. I don't even see people using the conservative stuff. If you like the general outlines of the carcept lip, but think it sticks out too far, just buy one and grind the lip back until it's where you like it. Probably way cheaper than having a shop creat an extremely low-production custom piece.

J.

lumbercis

Hmm, could be. That guy with the matte black vert with the bronze volks just got one a few months ago. I believe from bulletproof. They still list them on their site: http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/ca ... hp?ID=3393

Even if they are discontinued, if the community really had a demand for them, you could try to get a hold of one and have a shop make copies. Im just saying that you guys are re-inventing the wheel in most cases.

J.

CMS-GT4

He got it from dustin (intiald) who got it a from roo, who etc....

Yes, there are some body kit options for us. However, most are not executed properly and most make the car look bad.

With this thread, I am trying to discover the parts of the ones that are made, which might work, and see if we would need to create our own or modify existing ones to make the car look as good as possible.

As of right now, I do not think there is much on the market I would concider puting on my car.

As of right now, that middle PS i did with Merz's CS of the rounded lip, is most appealing to me.

The only production peice I would concider is the savage front lip, though it may need to be modified.

On another note, I wonder if there might be potential in a modified version of the messiah front lip.

CMS-GT4

I did another PS. My rounded lip, w/ savage skirts. I also made the wheels 18s, and slightly larger tires.

stockvslipconceptsdp3.jpg

savagekitroundlipconcepui2.jpg

EDIT: I added them all together.

Toxygene

I have the Savage kit. Honestly, the lip is just right. Any smaller and what would be the point of it? I really love the side skirts too. They are the only ones that don't look all riced out scooped to death.

My only wish is if someone could copy the kit but in plastic instead of fiberglass. Considering the fact that I'm one of the few people who probably has this kit in the US and probably even fewer still of the ones who do, that hasn't installed it on my car yet. Unless I found a reputable shop to make an exact duplicate, I have my reservations about giving up such a rare kit to be made in plastic.

lumbercis

Toxy, I haven't seen anyone who actually installed the savage in the US. Even on celicatech, almost everyone with a kit has that hideous veilside copy. Every time almost any other kit is talked about, we get a rehash of the same old pictures from 12 years ago.

On another note, anyone else notice that the savage kit in that picture either isn't installed very well, or doesn't flow with itself very well? The front lip is wider than the side skirt, so the section next to the wheel well hangs down much lower than the front of the sideskirt next to the wheel well. If the lip was thinner or if it was just installed a bit higher, it would look much better.

CMS's photoshop with the savage ss and supra lip looks alot better because the lip and ss form an even line down the side of the car.

One other thing about that white car: the lip would look alot better if the ride height was lower. The splitter part should skim the ground as much as possible. Either lower profile tires or slamming it a little more would help.

Toxygene

Ok.. I guess I have to take pictures of it. I actually own the Savage kit. I haven't installed it yet because I want to have my car repainted first. It was a birthday present from my Father when he visited family in Europe for a month. Ironically, I have a white AllTrac now.. but it won't be that color forever if I have my say about it. It will be that dark blue irridescent color that Volkswagen had for their Beetles and Golfs. I plan on having my RC bumper grill opening painted black as well as half of the Savage lip. Pretty much where the lip begins to jut out and following that line all the way around to the edges.

I'm kind of taking styling cues from the R34 Skyline which incidentally also has a front lip that hangs down lower than the side skirts. I think it looks perfectly sick this way.

gtrr34.jpg

lumbercis

^Actually, that skyline proves what I was saying. It looks good because the blue bumper and the blue sideskirts are even and create an even visual line along the bottom edge. The reason the lip spoiler is black is that if they painted it body color it would look ridiculous because it would break that even visual line.

Anyway, once your savage kit is installed, you will probably have the only ST18x in America with one! Looking forward to seeing it!

J.

lumbercis

While we're batting ideas around here, anyone think the carcept sides (last page) would go good with the everbuni 398 front (on a GT-4 bumper)? That carcept lip is too much IMO, but with an erebuni front, it might be just right. Probably as aggressive as would look good on a alltrac, yet still somewhat tasteful. Anyone want to attempt a photoshop? I wouldn't do it on that carcept car though because the color and graphics are distracting. Maybe try it on that photo of the Pit Road M car?

J.

lumbercis

^Already have. And Car Domain as well (okay, haven't checked every celi on cardomain)and trust me they are not there. Oh, they have fugly body kits but they are almost universally the "shogun" veilside copy.

Did you read what I actually wrote above? Erebuni lip and carcept sides. Pics don't need to be on the same car necessarily. Ive just never seen pics of those installed on any street car other than the manufacturer's pics. Ive seen the erebuni once on an australian narrow-body GT-4, but he removed his center bar on the bumper so it looks a little different than it would on our cars.

The japanese celica club website has some cars with body mods, but mostly the japanese aero magic lips. The carcept and erebuni are Euro kits.

J.

lumbercis

Tazka":27rqm6nm said:
So you must be blind then.

Erebuni

Carcept

No not blind. I looked at every car in the "member's rides" section and did a search for threads on kitted celicas and didn't see those. Where were those posted?

In any case, it's a decent start. Now we just need to find some examples on a GT-4 bodied car and we'll be in business.

On another note. If everyone likes the OEM supra lip, why doesn't someone just order one from toyota and then see how difficult it would be to fit it to a GT-4 as I suggested earlier? You can take it to your local body man, have him see if it's possible. And if he says "can't be done" just sell it on supraforums. Otherwise this whole thread was a big waste of time. Which was really my point from the beginning. Lots of talk about body mods, but no one actually does any. :shrug: Im still waiting for ANY pictures of GT-4's with body mods.
J.

CMS-GT4

There are a few posted in this thread, and there are more in the sweetest pics thread, which you can dig through if you like.

wcelica405.jpg

celicagt13ok.jpg

This one:
http://www.neeltec.co.uk/

Found these by just googling st185 body kit, lip, carcept etc....

celi.jpg

Olafur_Celica_1.jpg

Some random PS.
logo_phpBB.jpg

_trc_celica_st182_02f.jpg

montage0.gif

Olafur_Celica_5.jpg

_frei000002f.jpg

ST18xInvader.jpg

53.jpg

52.jpg

61.jpg

80.jpg

47.jpg

90-93celicaPrear.jpg

2166624_7_full.jpg

1705695366ni4.jpg

celicalightconvertsc0.jpg

bmpmq6.jpg

So, yeah there are plenty of pics out there. Most look bad. Parts of them can look good. And some look decent from certain angles and horrible from others.

I am going to see if I can find a local supra w/ and aftermarket bumper and try and barrow the oem lip spoiler.