st185 body kit research and concepts (AT club homework)

lumbercis

Wow, some freaky stuff there.

Anyway, too bad we don't have more pics of this car:
80.jpg

it looks like it has the erebuni/carcept combo I wanted to see.
Anyone seen any pics of the erebuni front on a GT-4 bumper (one that still has the center crossbar). I think the side skirts, while pretty aggressive, could look good with the right front/rear combo. This car has the same problem the savage car has on the install; the skirts and fender edge of the front lip don't line up across the bottom of the car.

Hey i had an idea. We ought to get an old GTS shell or something and use it as the board kit-mule. If anyone wanted some body mods but weren't sure how they would look on the car, they can buy them, have them shipped to whoever holds the mule and they could install them and take pics. Then if the person didn't like the look, they could just sell the kit parts off on celicatech or something. That way you won't mess up your alltrac installing body mods you are not sure you like. Eh, probably more effort than most people want to go through, but if someone happens to have a shell in their backyard....

J.

Toxygene

I think alot of that is a little over the top for my tastes.

I think the RC bumper is the best bumper for the Celica. Combine that with a small lip/chin spoiler and it's just enough with the right paint scheme. Anything else hangs down too low and is danger of becoming a road kill scraper. As for any bumper kits that try to replace the grill area. It's like an automatic disqualification from being a decent kit. Somehow that grill area of our Celica's cannot be replacee with anything that looks right. And nobodies ever tried to make headlights that match up to the corner lights and follows them to where they meet the bumper.

With the side skirts the biggest problem I notice is that they try to make boxy side skirts with a car like ours that has smooth rounded flowing lines. Again the savage kit looks like it belongs on the car because it works with the existing curves of the car.

As for the rear of the car, I haven't really seen a rear bumper yet that doesn't look like an add on piece. The Savage kit isn't bad but it isn't perfect either.

For a wing, I think I'm surprised everyone tries to copy the supra wing. I think what would be cool is if somoene would extend the two pieces that sit on the sides to start where the beginning of the wide fender bulge starts and make them pointier instead of the snub nosed point it already has. Then if the hieght was raised by no more than 2 to 3 inches max. Then I'd see myself considering to get an aftermarket wing.

It's not an impossible car to work with but rather it seems that nobody has tried to do an elegant rendition.

CMS-GT4

I did some PSing of that red car.
I fixed the grill and increased the offset of the wheels.

I did one with the wrc spoiler w/o being stakced on the oem spoiler.

And another of just the oem spoiler.

untitled1hc6.jpg

theUNYTEDone

i think i'd get pulled over if my lisence plate was mounted that way... :oops:

i like it a lot, though!
however...i've got an inquiry. would our cars look very dumb with this spoiler?

136_5_t.jpg

i remember seeing some 205's with that wing, and i'm just wondering what an ST185 would look like with it. :shrug:

bloodMoney

sorry Nigel I gotta disagree on this one. that would almost be grounds for fights with the STI guys for trying to 'copy' their wing...

~bloodMoney

Tazka

The nicest wing ive seen on st185 is the one that comes with savage kit, it'd be nice to see how that wing nigel posted would look on st185.

CMS-GT4

I have seen 185s with a simular spoiler. There was a popular CS back in the day with that spoiler and white wheels. There are lots of 6th gens with that spoiler.

http://gt4oc.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=5 ... 541777713e

Here are a couple I found.

Jason_Woods_3.jpg

They offer another version of it from spoilers.com

http://spoilers.com/wings/toycel90.htm

celica495rw.jpg

Some pics of custom spoilers.

559076_1_full.jpg

559076_6_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/559076

http://gt4oc.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=3 ... 6209016537

I always wondered what this lip would look like on a 5th gen.
1015large.jpg

More stuff from gt4oc.
Half lip spoiler. Might look good if it covered the whole bumper.
http://gt4oc.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=3 ... 6209016537

Tazka

Well comparing those too pics above, the original one takes the victory.
The one that was on the red one was slightly smaller than the one you made.

theUNYTEDone

i really liked the color scheme of the car you posted, tazka.
i plan on doing a decal set made out of the reflective police tape for when i'm on the exterior phase. i'd look just like that but in a white rendition.

i also like that partial front lip thing. very cool. 8)

CMS-GT4

I decided to do a quick ducktail concept to see if I really like it. I am going to have to put a spoiler on. It will most likely be the stock spoiler, but I am going to try some experiments before I settle.

st185ducktailgh3.jpg

Here is the OG to compare it to.
pict00691uz.jpg

Tazka

theUNYTEDone":1b07hzuz said:
i plan on doing a decal set made out of the reflective police tape for when i'm on the exterior phase. i'd look just like that but in a white rendition.

I wonder how it would look on black car...

Indy3sgte

Well its post like this that I miss when I'm workin too much and concentrating on getting the car running...

Well first off my opinion is the Savage kit is my favorite for sure...I plan on getting those side skirts and a front lip...either the aero lip or the one with the kit I havn't decided yet. I feel that the one on the savage kit is maybe a little too extreme but thats just my opinion...as for the rear bumper I love the concept for the rear diffusor...as for wheels i have the sportmax 050's with spacers...they fill out so beautiful. Does anyone have a contact to get a savage kit at all? Once my engine runs well enough and is broken in body work is my next step and I really want the savage kit before I start that so I can mold it the way I want before paint and everything...spoiler all I say is leav it stock...maybe shave it a bit but I just love the stock spoiler...thats all I think...keep the ideas rolling guys.

Dan

Toxygene

Good luck importing the Savage Kit here. I have it but only by the luckiest of circumstances. The expense for it, had it not been a gift, is somewhat prohibitive. Don't forget about shipping which will kill you alone.

I'm all for more people getting this kit but I think someone would have to make a replica to make it cost effective.