ST185 RC/CS/GRPA reproduction vent in ST16X hood

86turboswap

Hey guys I have been working on this hood off & on & finally got it to a presentable stage it's going on a ST165 I am soon to purchase. This is the Erebuni Celica WRC fiberglass vent installed in the ST16X hood. I cut a whole in the hood with a dremel and installed the vent from the bottom-up, glued the vent in place & used rubber bumpers often used to level HVAC equipment on roofs to hold pressure up on the vent till the glue cured, then proceded to use fiberglass shavings, resin, and SMC lightweight professional filler to smooth it all out. I have a coat of primer on it now. Once painted this may be a candidate to get a CF mold made. Tell me what you guys think

hoodprimered1.jpg

hoodprimered2.jpg

88st165

i would love that in carbon fiber but id even buy it if it was fiber glass.... anything to vent the heat and take the weight off the front!

Eric (ersracing) has one on his 165 made of metal. He used my first CS hood that was delivered to dealer damaged and had it grafted onto the existing 165 hood. It does look great on the car :)

Gary ST165

looking good 8)

i hope to do the same mod shortly using a spare Toyota CS/RC vent

CS/RC vent + mesh

ebay? jobbie

blended GrpA vent

ST205 mesh

Additional info re: cooling

John Day of Toyota Team GB/TTE recently confirmed that the black bumper air intakes should have been "cut outs" as specified by TTE.
Unfortunately Toyota Japan produced the minimum 5000 ST165 bumper skins without the cut outs. >>> Due to homoglation rules the air intakes could not be modified for grpA use. Hence the 165 suffered overheating problems in competition.

88st165

back from the dead...

what type of glue did you use for this?... is it holding up to the heat assuming that you have since installed this...

That picture is when eric had a vent pop riveted to his ST165 hood. He now has a hood where he deskinned a complete 185 CS hood and put the skin onto a ST165 hood frame. Definitely looks factory made, best I have seen
posted :)