making skid plates

underscore

BNZ":2twbw2i3 said:
LegacyofDan's plate is ready to ship :)
Also I've made myself a plate for the diff in the back (last 2 pictures)...i don't think for most of you running on the streets is necessary but for offroading,better safe than sorry.

IMAG0226_resize.jpg

IMAG0227_resize.jpg

IMAG0231_resize.jpg

IMAG0234_resize.jpg

IMAG0235_resize.jpg

Hi, any chance you still make the front and rear skid plates? I'd like to buy a set for my 185 :)

freddie

For the record Stainless Steel does not rust. That is why it was invented... a material resistant to corrosion.
I have a china's motorola exhaust on my car and it has been there for over five years now. It has some deep gouges and a few dents, but no rust. Even at the welds. Now my dog's water bowl is a pressed stainless steel one. It has a rust spot in the bottom. Most likely that is from pollution in the material.

In my work I have designed, prepared shop drawings, and fabricated benches and the like for commercial kitchens,and food preparation areas, and meat processing factories, all the installation has been of stainless steel. Stainless Steel is selected because of it's hygienic qualities but also because of it's resistance to corrosion as the floors, walls and areas are washed down with steam or very hot water water, every day. Welds and such rust due to pollution in the making. In pollution I am referring to bits of steel (filings) from carborundum cutting disks, hacksaws, or files and sandpaper that some how drop out of the sky into your molten weld.

In a lot of competition cars where floors or skid plates are required, the skid plates are most likely fabricated from Chrome Moly Steel, Duralium Titanium or Aluminium. All of which are very expensive stuff.

The last skid plate I made (for a Morris (Mini) Cooper S to go rallying in) was made from Duralium. Basically the material is aluminium with a face hardening process. A hard material to work with such as bending etc..

For my 165, I have fabricated a guard to protect the crankshaft pulley and belts and the oil filter (the 205 3SGTE engine have the oil filter located at the front corner of the block) This I fabricated from 3mm Aluminium.

One of these days I will get around to making a sump/gearbox guard for my 165. Though I will never drive it on dirt roads or rallying it, you never know what you may run over driving down the Freeway or Highway . Once driving down the Freeway I ran over spilled building rubble (bricks and bits of concrete), that cost me a tyre, mag, cracked/broken front spoiler, bent up floor and gouges/dents in my 3'' exhaust.

Oh the material for my guard will be aluminium sheet. I love working with aluminium ha ha. Celica's already have enough weight hanging over the front end, I would not want to increase it by using steel. And stainless steel I hate the stuff.