How to fit a 10" rim on an ST185

Landon

Why wouldn't you do a slightly lower offset in the front? I think you're on to something and it could definitely be done.

Didnt have time to take pix but i measured between my current wheels and front strut housing and i have about 30mm of clearance.

So what im thinking I could fit a 18x10 with a +43 will give me 5mm of clearance to strut and will be the same outter clearance. But with that said... Im still scared of ordering this custom offest wheel and being to positive. Im thinking of getting a +35 offset just to be safe. and will give me 8mm closer to the fender.

Rears are going to be the better offset of the two. 18x10 +12 this i based on what this thread and ive been reading.
This is 31mm further out than my current setup!! will this work? I just recently put 20mm spacer on the rear and it seems to be very flush.

I dont want to streatch it too much. so i was thinking 265/35/18?

Any thoughts??

Landon

Go with lower offset. In most ways, lower offset is better for dish/concave. And I would say run a 255, 265 might give you some more clearance issues. Check my pictures for a 255 on a 9.5in wheel. It is pretty damn near square. I doubt it would look stretched too bad.

Landon

Oohh the meister would look so good. Basically offset is where the hub face sits in relationship to the center of the wheel. Kinda. Lol. So technically the lower you go, the more dish you get. As long as it clears your calipers, I would run as low an offset as possible to get more dish. Balance it between flush with the fender though, because offset will change where it sits in relationship to the fender as well. This make sense? You're doing staggered offsets right?

Edit: to be safe, the +35 will push it out and give you more clearance from the strut. You can modify the fender, not the strut. unless you ran a spacer, which you probably shouldn't do.

yeah Im thinking of doing 35 in front and 12 in rear witch may be to aggressive I was thinking more of +17 to be safe

you have pix of your car?

Landon

I would say the 12 would be fine. more aggressive the better in my opinion. Check my build, there's pictures on there.

Meenya

Picture of 17x9" 12mm offset and 255/40/17 tire.
~ -2 camber
17x10 12mm would never clear the strut on my car. (In my setup I would need 0mm offset)
I'm pretty sure DMS coilovers make the least room for clearance as the springs come very low as you can see in the pic.

This is just fyi...I think you should determine your height, camber first as these variables will make a difference and there is no question you will need to roll/modify rear fenders.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• tapaupload0.jpg
    tapaupload0.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,563

Landon

Obviously depends on the setup, but if you have both upper and eccentric camber adjustments in the rear, you can pull the wheel father away from the strut than that and still run negative camber. I run 18x9.5 +35 and I have about 10mm of clearance from Ksport coilovers with -1 degree of camber. Just depends on the setup.

deecee

wheel + tyre circumference and width will also play a part in getting the wheel into the well.
It is one thing to measure against a wheel without tyre. Once the tyres go on, then the measuements will differ eg my issues trying to run good year asymmetric 2 which has fringe protector to stop curbing, which interferes with tein shock body and 8.8% increase of wheel + tyre circumference interfering with metal of wheel well

Tyre choice will play a significant part in putting 10" wide rim onto a celica. Considering it was built for 15x6.5 in the 90's, there will be limitations on what you can fit in there due to design philosophies of the period

Ok I tried on some 18x10 +35 and it's going to be close. The front fit no issues the rim does stick out further than I like I guess I can go with a +40 to clear the fender more but that may be a better idea. This way I wouldn't have to stretch to much as I want a least a 255 on there.

Rear... Different story this is a tight fit. I have 20mm spacers with this 18x10 +35 makes it +15. this is a close fit. Comes about 3-5 mm to rear strut and 4-5 mm to inner fender well. The rim sits flush if not sticks out 2-3mm of fenders my pictures do no justice. I hope I can make this work.

On a side note. Should I just go 9.5? So I can drive with ease? LoL I know we say we can't put such large wheels on this car but... I guess I could try. I was thinking that this may work.

deecee

put the wheels and shocks under compression, turn the wheel full lock left and right and let us know the clearances you have with a tyre on. The wheel by itself does not mean that you can fit it all under there.

front
18x10svn001.jpg

18x10svn003.jpg

Rear
18x10svn008.jpg

18x10svn015.jpg

I haven't maned up an ordered the wheels yet.... but I'm haveing second thoughts of getting 10in wide. seems like it maybe too aggresive for most people. Including my self. I would have to run 235-245 so none of tyre sticks out past the rim in both front and rear

Rear for not touching the coilovers.

Front for not touching the outter fenders. but I could get a higher offset.

I think will look into 9.5 and most likely get 9.5 so i dont have to stretch at all.

Maybe get a 265 all around.

CMS-GT4

I think the 9.5" would be a smarter choice. I would stick with a 255 max if your do a 40 profile and if you go to 265 then a 35 profile. Your problem becomes the front fender liner unless you decide to make your own. I used two and plastic welded them to extend mine and give me more space for my setup. I was rubbing on super hard turns and I prefer 0 rub.