92-93 Tail lights tint fading?

toayoztan

So I got some brand new vented corners for the tail lights for the 92-93 version.

The tint on them are somewhat darker than my tail lights. Then i noticed one side of my tail light is darker than the other side.

I've used meguiars Plast-x polish one or two times before in the past. But in general, my question is if the tinting is a coating that's been put on i assume from the factory and not a "built in" darker color plastic?

If so, i guess we all need to be careful about polishing up the 92-93 tails, to preserve the tint on them? :shrug:

Bryan

CelicaGT4

I sanded mine down with 1500 grit and polished them up with lens restorer. When finished the entire outer tint disappeared....DOH! I then took them to my painter and all is cool now.

toayoztan

CelicaGT4":3065it3z said:
I sanded mine down with 1500 grit and polished them up with lens restorer. When finished the entire outer tint disappeared....DOH! I then took them to my painter and all is cool now.

Yeah, okay, same here too somewhat. I think the one or two times i took the meguiars to it may have took some of the tint off. Eh, i'll just have to get them retinted by my painter to match the jdm vented corners if it's too far off in shade.

Bryan

GT4_ever

CelicaGT4":kz6bt480 said:

So they orange/amber part comes off? Is the plastic just clear underneath?

RoAdbOy

do you mean the tinted markers are darker or the amber itself?
by my car was the right-left taillight markers different, and then i painted it...:
after that, i polished it, now it looks and feels if you touch it exactly like new OEM :)

differentg.jpg

taillightpaint.jpg

marked1.jpg

marked2.jpg

toayoztan

Wow, I never imagined just painting it black would make it look so good!

If i have to redo it, i may just look into getting it painted and wet sanding/polish it down, rather than tinting.

Bryan

toayoztan

The pics look good.

Oh, and i meant the tinted part of my jdm vented corners look darker than the tinted part of my tails, not the amber part.

I think I may do the same as what you did (considering also my car is black). Or I may just respray with really dark tint.

Did you just use black paint or dark tint?

Bryan

RoAdbOy

thank you :) it was just black spray paint.
really short and easy job...
tools and materials:
1- sunny day or a garage
2- newspaper
3- masking tape
4- black spray paint
5- about 30minutes time
:) :p :smokes:

toayoztan

If Roadboy doesn't mind, can someone take one of the pictures (last one preferred) and photoshop the car to be black (or sample the color of the black he used and make it similar)?

Curious how'd it look, thanks!

Bryan