Which mirrors you like better.

Which mirrors look better to you?

• JDM folding mirrors

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • US Market

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

aus jd 2703

pictures just so i am talking about the right mirrors...
but i think usdm are nicer if their the right ones.. can u put them on a rhd?

FabZ

aus jd 2703":2rbl23sm said:
pictures just so i am talking about the right mirrors...
but i think usdm are nicer if their the right ones.. can u put them on a rhd?
just look on sMARTINside avatar just above.. he has usdm mirors :p i only had JDM and never noticed de difference but a agree usdm ones are nice!

Spectra1

JDM are fugly

Funny I was thinking the same thing about the USDM ones. I just ordered a set of the JDM ones because I think they dont look as dated and give a cleaner look. I guess well see once I have them on which ones I end up liking more.

RyDaGriff

I have had both, obviously. I had the usdm ones originally but then got a set of the jdm ones and i like the way that they looked, however, it took me a year or so to gather all the parts to finally wire them up to work only to figure out that because they came off a jdm car that the viewing angles were set for RHD. It was a realy pain in the ass. I did finally get a set of ones that were meant for LHD and after installing them I was really satisfied with them. I never used the folding function other than to screw with people or show off. The USDM ones are definitely lighter and likely more aerodynamic than the JDM ones. They had to weigh like 5lbs a piece or something. I voted for the JDM because of uniqueness. It's a suttle difference that set my alltrac apart from the others and I do still like the way they look better. Less ricey and more high-end performance vehicle appearing in my opinion.

toayoztan

Less ricey? Wow, but to each their own on opinion.

I can think of a couple more reasons why the JDM ones would be "ricey" vs USDM.

I guess I've never heard of anything stock referred to as ricey on any forum.

Bryan

RyDaGriff

Not really trying to say that the USDM ones are ricey, however, there have been very similar designs made to fit the ricey Honda/Acura models. If you compare the JDM ones to other car makers, they seem to be more similar to that which you would see in the Supra and RX7. Just my opinion though. Bryan~ I guess I can assume that your going to go with the USDM mirrors on your build then?

toayoztan

That's cool but I was really referring to the term "ricey" being used so loosely and thrown around so much these days :wink: , not so much as to what or why he likes JDM > USDM, I should have been more clear.

Just surprised to people would even use the term ricey when referring to stock parts on a 20 year old car.

Cleaner, subtle, aggressive, etc would probably be better choice of words. Again, to each their own. Just tired of seeing kids (and some adults) throw that term around into any context they will like you see on youtube and streetfire.

*and now returning from my soapbox...nothing personal against anyone, just my opinion!

Bryan

2of81

My idea of the mirrors is that Toyota designed the car around the US market mirrors and the JDM ones are designed for regulations to fold, theres no fact in that, but thats just the way I see it.

My US market drivers kept me from busting my ass one winter but it has a small vibration at highway speeds and is also faded to boot. Now I have a set of JDM ones that would need to be painted to match, kinda need to make a decision here quick since my hood and bumper is getting sprayed. The thing is I look at the US ones and think they flow with the car so fu*%ing well. Never saw a thread on what people thought about the looks, so here it is.

toayoztan

RyDaGriff":2mnfc93r said:
Not really trying to say that the USDM ones are ricey, however, there have been very similar designs made to fit the ricey Honda/Acura models. If you compare the JDM ones to other car makers, they seem to be more similar to that which you would see in the Supra and RX7. Just my opinion though. Bryan~ I guess I can assume that your going to go with the USDM mirrors on your build then?

Yeah, no hard feelings, opinions are opinions.

I plan to use the USDM ones, partly b/c I simpliy don't have the JDM ones on hand. I wouldn't mind picking up a set though and take a long look at them in person, and see what it'd look like on my car after my car is put together.

Bryan

RyDaGriff

Personally, I was going for the RC clone back when I had mine. I just feel like the JDM mirrors work better with the more bulbous shapes of the RC hood/bumper combination. I also think the USDM mirrors look better with the regular All-trac hood regardless of which front bumper is used.

WarTowels

USDM mirrors are befitting of Celica ST's. They give the car a weird and unnecessary space ship vibe.

JDM mirrors are much more subtle, yet still remain aggressive. I appreciate that.
Oh and I hadn't ever made a Shrek connection before, thanks for getting that stuck in my head!

You know what mirrors I do absolutely LOVE though?

32003690037_large.jpg

-Towels

sammyw

I guess I am in the minority but I prefer the JDM ones. I like the look and the folding functionality could be useful when parking in tight spaces. And I like the sound they make when they fold in, but I am weird.