RIMS!!!!

nextmod93

I know this is a person preference question but what rims do you think would look best on a 1990 white all trac? im thinking either enkei ev5 or enkei sr6 18in and 8in wide... bronze with the chrome lip... what is your opinion? and if theres anything that you think will look better please post it!

Thank You

fussellbug

Either of those wheel designs should look good on the ST185 but I personally think the 18" wheels are a bit oversized. I'm setting up silver Advan RC wheels for my white Celica in 17x8.

nextmod93

thanks for your opinion! i was looking at sum 18inch rims on my car and yea i does look like over kill so im gunna go with the 17inch

nextmod93

awesome-trac":n57em1vw said:
Work Emotions CR KAI 17x8, fits and looks perfect
im thinkin of getting a brake kit later on... would you know what kind of offset id be looking at? 40 or 50?

Hotrodhendrix

zero06":ivh1ilpx said:
18's look like wagonwheels
I have wagon wheels. Most like them but I am with yall. Should have gone 17s
IMAG1064.jpg

Spectra1

Humm I guess I have wagon wheels to.... that is custom Gram Light 57pro wagon wheels. I think they look great, if you like 18s go for it and break out of the 17s band wagon :D

GT4_DRED

I personally think 18" wheels are the perfect size for 185s. A staggered set of 18 on a st185 with a 235 - 245 rear tire just looks sick! My st165 currently has 18s with 215/35/18s and I'm changing to a staggered 17" setup instead with 235s out back.. On a st205, I would run 19s all day with a 245 - 265 out back.. JMHO :smokes:

18x8 with 215/35/18
Image000021.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

Over the years the excepted rim size has increased as new cars increased. I ran into an old post with an old memeber bill strong I believe saying that 17s were ghetto big on a celica.

lumbercis

18's can look just as good or better on a celica as 17's.. it's all in the setup. You can make the awesomest set of wheels in the world look like crap if you just slap them on with no thought to offset, ride height etc.

Also, the design and color of the wheel can increase or decrease how big it looks to the eye. For instance, dark wheels look smaller than bright wheels. Stepped lip rims look smaller than full lip. Low offset wheels will look a little smaller than flat face wheels.

If you want to run 18's and don't want them to look too large on your car, pay attention to the details.

Meenya

Also tires are generally cheaper in 17s sizes. You can get R-S3 tire 245/40/17 for $150 each on tirerack

Punknoodle

I agree about the stepped lip rims looking smaller than a wheel where the spokes go all the way out to the rim. My 17" SSRs look a little smaller than what I imagined due to this, an 18" probably would have worked well, but the problem I found is trying to find the appropriate sized tire that has the correct load rating at that profile. Plus I prefer having a bit of sidewall, too.

Also I think it's important as mentioned you have the right offset and width, and make sure you are choosing tires that won't ballon out past the rim too much. Pictures below are some pics of my 17x8" SSRs, with a 215/45 tire - these are a Dunlop Sportmaxx TT and have a load rating of about 93, I think.

Lastly, due to my lip even though I have 17s, I am not able to run a large brake kit unless I run spacers on the front, which is something I don't want to do. So if big brakes are in your future and you want lip then you might have to go 18s and try to find tires that will suit, and pay a fortune for them! (That is with going normal disc option front, super low disc option rear - I wanted more dish at the back but the same offset and didn't need as much room for brakes)

gt4shoot5-1.jpg

profile4.jpg

profile2.jpg