Possible Group Buy for Urethane RC bumper lip

brophats

Sorry for the delay everyone. It looks like he's not going to budge from the number of orders he needs in the group buy. Its seems insane that he needs 100 orders to brake even, he says his mold costs $3500. I mean at $250 a lip thats $25000.

Demetrius

CMS-GT4

Might be worth hitting up a few of the eBay companies. There has to be someone willing to do it.

deecee

brophats":1a20mgig said:
Sorry for the delay everyone. It looks like he's not going to budge from the number of orders he needs in the group buy. Its seems insane that he needs 100 orders to brake even, he says his mold costs $3500. I mean at $250 a lip thats $25000.

Demetrius
Molds, labour time, materials, general business costs, profit etc. And he probably wants to pump out a bunch in one run vs ad hoc production. A lot of the time, these orders are based on someone coming to the party with the equity to bear the brunt of the costs and recoop the investment from sales later. If you are serious, you need to canvas the international forums and spread the word to get a production run done.

If you have pictures, I can provide info on my local GT Four club group page to see if people are interested, but without better information or a photos of a sample or mockup, it is very hard to commit to something.

Lamont

brophats":27e5ypxk said:

Demetrius

According to the OP unless we get 100 pre-orders this lip is dead in the water. I doubt if this will ever happen :roll: and if it did every Alltrac/5th Gen would have this same lip :rofl:

fastrax203

Bringing this up from the grave. I just spoke to campos, who I've bought many parts from for my SW20. This is what he said just a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-29-23-37-49-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-29-23-37-49-1.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 2,769
  • Screenshot_2016-03-29-23-38-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-29-23-38-03.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 2,769

fastrax203

This is pretty much his requirement for any part we want him to make. Supply what we want reproduced and at least 10 committed buyers. Thats been his policy for a while so I find it strange that he would have made it different for the MR2 guys than the Celica guys. In any case, he's a stand alone operation now and he's doing quite well so he probably doesn't need such a huge commitment anymore to produce some items. He's really helped rejuvenate the MR2 community by making items long since discontinued available to the community again. Maybe he can do that for the Celica people as well. I'm also trying to get him to reproduce the CS bumper. He can also do items in Urethane but of course the price goes up. I will keep in contact with him and update this thread as things progress.

I want to make it clear that I DO NOT have the lip or bumper needed but I would be more than willing to set up a group buy that will procure a bumper and lip for campos to reproduce for us.

brophats

Wow apparently this thread has legs. I still have the lip sitting in my garage. Is he willing to make a urethane lip now?

fastrax203

I'm trying to get prices for urethane and fiberglass. I had his aeroware fiberglass lip on my mr2 and didn't have any issues with fitment or cracking when it hit things...and it did really often. The initial pricing I'm sure is fiberglass. Is the original part fiberglass or urethane?

fastrax203

Campos said that CF would be rather expensive due to the work involved to make a high quality piece and the low production numbers generally involved. The Fiberglass lip would cost around $200 shipped for the initial run of a minimum of 10. To do a run of polyurethane he needs a minimum of 50, production time is longer but the cost is about the same.

He can also reproduce the CS bumper but it will be anywhere from $480-$550 shipped. This price is comparable to ordering from Europe except we will be supporting a local business. Urethane is available but keep in mind the above production requirement and extended manufacture time.

I'm pretty excited and I will make a proper group buy thread soon.