Enkei RPF1 17x9 colors....

EvilStig

I have a rally red USDM AT185 alltrac and have for the longest time been planning to buy the Enkei RPF1s in black... unfortunately since I began making these plans, Enkei has discontinued production of that size and offset in 5x100, and it appears that all of the black (and gold, and white) rims are now out of stock.

This leaves me with the chrome or the gunmetal... I really don't want to run/clean chrome, but does anyone have opinions on the gunmetal? Do you think it would work well with the red car, or should I hold out and hope to find used wheels in black?

CMS-GT4

Call enkei. I thought they offered custom colors of all their wheels. So you could in theory order them black as a custom order. There may be a higher price in that case. Also google if there are any ft86 or subaru group buys going on. Sometimes that is a way to get in getting color and size you want.

EvilStig

CMS-GT4":1yiulrui said:
Call enkei. I thought they offered custom colors of all their wheels. So you could in theory order them black as a custom order. There may be a higher price in that case. Also google if there are any ft86 or subaru group buys going on. Sometimes that is a way to get in getting color and size you want.

I looked into this and you can't call enkei... their only contact method is facebook and fuck that.

at present they don't make 17x9 5x100 wheels at all. Gunmetal and chrome are available in old stock on ebay and that's about it.

I'm all ears though if you have other suggestions for a lightweight 17x9 wheel I can put on this car....

CMS-GT4

Go look at konigs. They were partners with enkei for a bit, and now use their flow formed tech. The rpf1 in 17x9 sucks for BBK fitment on the 185 in case you ever planned on bigger brakes.

Enkei still makes 5x100 wheels in that size. A member here got their new 5 spoke, but they are pretty expensive compared to the rpf1.
Also look at gram lights. Moderate weight, and well constructed. They offer a fair amount of wheels in the specs you are after. Apex wheels also makes a 17x9 wheel for the frs. If you like bbs style, and light weight that is an option as well.

EvilStig

CMS-GT4":3u4q8ch0 said:
Go look at konigs. They were partners with enkei for a bit, and now use their flow formed tech. The rpf1 in 17x9 sucks for BBK fitment on the 185 in case you ever planned on bigger brakes.

Enkei still makes 5x100 wheels in that size. A member here got their new 5 spoke, but they are pretty expensive compared to the rpf1.
Also look at gram lights. Moderate weight, and well constructed. They offer a fair amount of wheels in the specs you are after. Apex wheels also makes a 17x9 wheel for the frs. If you like bbs style, and light weight that is an option as well.

Thanks! I'll start picking through those options... Any idea weight-wise what options are the lightest? I'm planning to autox and the weight is going to make a difference.

What brake kit do folks around here generally prefer anyway? I know I've come across a CEIKA kit for $1100 and a custom kit from "Revolution brake" using wilwood 4 piston calipers and 323mm rotors for about the same, but the price is offputting and I'm concerned about ongoing cost and availability of quality brake pads and rotors...

EDIT: shit I see them in enkei now, but they're +45 offset which would require some fairly massive spacers I think to fit right... I don't suppose you know of any that make them in +30 offset? even 35 or 38 would be manageable since I could use proper hubcentric spacers with lengthened studs, but I really want to avoid the thick spacers that use their own studs since the safety of those is always questionable.

looks like the konigs are +40 or +45... and then I'd need to choose between grey and bronze lol... so many choices so little time.

EDIT2: gram light no longer in production with 17x9 5x100 either, although still seeing several third party offerings selling them... I'm getting the feeling this size wheel is getting phased out in favor of 5x114.3

CMS-GT4

I would take it out and autox some before deciding on brakes. With some good pads and fluid you might already be set. I have a custom set of wilwoods. The revolution kit should be good, and Ceica is well known for their BBK. I am not sure the lightest wheel. I have seen a trend shift in wheels this year. A lot of brands are offering heavier wheels than they once did. I think because aftermarket wheels on the street has gotten so mainstream that they need to hold up to stronger conditions. I see quite a few light wheels with small bends in them. I would not worry so much about the getting the lightest. Just get something that is well balanced. Light enough, strong and can still locate replacements. Especially if its a street/race wheel. If you decide you really need to shave that 1/10s off your times then you can consider a dedicated set of race wheels and tires. Seat time and good tires will do a lot more for you than a lot of mods will.

EvilStig

CMS-GT4":3at9le2u said:
I would take it out and autox some before deciding on brakes. With some good pads and fluid you might already be set. I have a custom set of wilwoods. The revolution kit should be good, and Ceica is well known for their BBK. I am not sure the lightest wheel. I have seen a trend shift in wheels this year. A lot of brands are offering heavier wheels than they once did. I think because aftermarket wheels on the street has gotten so mainstream that they need to hold up to stronger conditions. I see quite a few light wheels with small bends in them. I would not worry so much about the getting the lightest. Just get something that is well balanced. Light enough, strong and can still locate replacements. Especially if its a street/race wheel. If you decide you really need to shave that 1/10s off your times then you can consider a dedicated set of race wheels and tires. Seat time and good tires will do a lot more for you than a lot of mods will.

Technically these are meant to be the race wheels and tires... I already have some 17x7 wheels I can use for the street, although they are much narrower than I'd like. I ran 17x9s on the mustang because it seemed to offer the best options for track rubber at a reasonable price (Toyo or Nitto 245s are a fairly good value when it comes to that...)

on the subject of the wilwood/ceikas: what does pad sizing and selection look like? I'm not seeing good info listed about them... and I want to be able to buy EBC/Hawk performance track and street pads.

CMS-GT4

All those wheel manufactures I mentioned list weight on their sites.
You'll have to look up the pn of the calipers used to see pad sizing on the wilwood site. I run HAWK HPS, but I also run an older caliper. Ceika, you will just have to email him. He has a lot of caliper options, and used to own a 165 that was his showroom car for a bit.

EvilStig

CMS-GT4":1bx8t9jg said:
All those wheel manufactures I mentioned list weight on their sites.
You'll have to look up the pn of the calipers used to see pad sizing on the wilwood site. I run HAWK HPS, but I also run an older caliper. Ceika, you will just have to email him. He has a lot of caliper options, and used to own a 165 that was his showroom car for a bit.

Thanks and good to know.

I specced out a Ceika kit and wow it adds up fast. haha. Maybe I'll just go with the wilwoods...

Did you do anything on the rear too or just the front? I feel like the rear would look real nice but other than being for show idk if it would even matter.

CMS-GT4

The 205 rears are the best option for the price, that is what I did. They use a rear mk4 supra pad, so sourcing pads will be easy. Ceika makes a rear kit, but yeah their stuff adds up quick. Ksport is another option, but also not cheap.

underscore

I think gunmetal looks good with red, though if you really want black just order gunmetal and have them painted. I've got them in 17x8 et45 along with extended front studs and 8mm spacers. If you want to run autox though I would think 9" wide wheels and bigger brakes would just be dead weight slowing you down at those kinds of speeds. There should still be decent support for all kinds of stuff in 5x100 thanks to the FRS/BRZ/GT86, though the offsets might not be ideal but that's easy to correct with some spacers.