Problem with JDM folding mirrors.

bemani4u

How's everybody doing? I just finished installing some JDM folding mirrors that I got from an eBay seller in Japan, and I wired everything correctly and such, but the mirror on the right side of the car (passenger side on LHD cars) has problems folding in. When I press the Retract button, it just tries to fold in and makes loud clicking sounds, but will eventually fold in if you give it a nudge. Everything else works fine though, both mirrors fold out fine and the left mirror has no problems. Has anybody experienced this kind of problem or does anybody have any suggestions to remedy this? Many thanks in advance.

I want to try to fix it myself before trying to get an exchange from the seller, as shipping to Japan and waiting time would be a real pain to deal with.

MATT-S

Mine are the same, they were fine for 2 years then they would intermitantly click on the left side, and now almost every time. I think the thing that finished mine of was that the 2 parts of the mirror would sometimes get frozen together and this would cause it to click away until I could get to it and free it. I haven't taken it apart yet but I would imagine that there is some sort of cog or cam arrangement which with prolonged usage becomes weakened.
I would say that it is the mirrors at fault, and not your fitting skills.
Cheers
Matt

QIK_GT4

just the other day i opened my window (really dark tint) and noticed that the left mirror was retracted but the right one was still unfolded and im like WTF! so i hit retract and the right 1 retracted then i hit the button again and both folded out so i have no idea what goin on lol

bemani4u

Well, both of my mirrors are working fine now. My dad actually fixed it somehow... It's really kind of funny how he fixed it. His 97 Eclipse Spyder's battery died (as in it won't hold a charge), so he took my car to work. Well, he was about to leave and I caught him trying to unfold the mirrors by hand because he couldn't figure out how to unfold them. He forced the right mirror to fold out and I yelled at him to stop before he unfolded the left mirror by hand. And I showed him the proper way to fold/unfold them. I pushed the Retract button once and the right mirror folded, so I pushed the button again and they both unfolded. So then he took my car to work. I was all pissed the whole day thinking that he could've messed up my mirrors even more or worse yet, break something in my car (he does not know how to take care of stuff, much less other people's stuff). Well, when he got back I throughly checked out my car to see if he broke anything (he's that bad), and to my surprize his man handling of the right mirror actually fixed the mirror to properly fold in and out! I was like, WTF???

So to make a long story short, my Dad's usual man handling actually fixed something for a change. My guess is that somehow during shipment from Japan, the mirror's gears must have misaligned a bit to where the mirror would fold out, but not in. And his man handling the mirror somehow forced the gears back into place so it'd work correctly. Who would have guessed? :shrug: